Hidden Line Rendering 20 min vs 3 Seconds

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
36 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

so...to set up a simple part drawing i have to know how to do all that??  I have no idea what you just said and i consider myself an experience user...how is a brand new person going too figure that all out?

Apologies, a visual demonstration:

• Like 1

the thing is...i was not sure if the problem was me or vw... a 25 min difference in setting up a drawing is major...maybe I'm doing it wrong...felt silly to ask for a wish only to find out I'm doing it wrong...

i am in the process of of getting a second seat of VW to help with the workload...because VW can really do everything, including shop drawings...but if i have 44 shop drawings to prepare (aside from regular site drawings) things can get a bit tedious because one simple mistake can cause the computer to to regenerate (20min)  

just to be clear...this is not a one is better than the other but more of Concrete & Steel...which is better?  you can't say until you know what you are trying to do..

so now I'm thinking VW for my site models and site drawings (Concrete) 

& Onshape for my fabrication drawings (Steel)

now my office becomes Reinforced Concrete (a new product and much better)

Edited by digitalcarbon
3 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

just to be clear...this is not a one is better than the other but more of Concrete & Steel...which is better?  you can't say until you know what you are trying to do..

The link a few posts above will show a quicker answer to the threads original question. Once you set it up you won't need to change it again for that file. You can set it up and save it as a template if you like as well. Eventually I want to have OpenGL be an included option in renderworks styles so that its easier to switch between different representations using the much faster VGM as opposed to just Renderworks.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

....and ambient occlusion in the OpenGL settings

Did you mean Anti-Aliasing or are using a secret feature version of VW again? :D I like your wish about saved render styles for everything. Ultimately, perhaps this should be a sheet layer viewport style that allows you to turn on/off a draft/final setting with a checkbox in the style instead of for each viewport individually. Then you could work with everything set to draft and then switch to final for final output. The biggest challenge in all this is that different render modes preview different things (eg. tile texture shaders are not seamless in OpenGL but render correctly in a Renderworks mode).

Not knowing anything about Onshape I googled some images. The linework is very clean including well defined fillets etc. on curved geometry. Ultimately its hard to tell without being able to compare a PDF drawing generated by VW and by Onshape.

Kevin

34 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Did you mean Anti-Aliasing or are using a secret feature version of VW again?

Apologies, this setting is located under Set Lighting Options. (Even though I feel it should be in the OpenGL render settings, and those settings available in a style;)  )

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, JimW said:

Apologies, this setting is located under Set Lighting Options. (Even though I feel it should be in the OpenGL render settings, and those settings available in a style;)  )

Interesting, I did not know that existed outside of editing a Renderworks Style. Its great to learn something new but I have to say that's confusing, especially for a Sheet Layer Viewport.

Kevin

27 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

This is not quite right @JimW- when you enter from a section - you get all of the hatches like you do in hidden line.  This method does not give you surface hatches.

This isn't the same as the thing as the fast HL layer from direct section editing that was mentioned earlier, no. I was just showing digitalcarbon how to get the speed he was seeing elsewhere in a similar visual style with a different render mode.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

However that led me to this conclusion, upvote if you agree or would find this useful:

Yes for sure as that could provide a verity of benefits.

Just confused since clearly VW has already developed the rendering style we want  - but has locked it inside the live section edit.  In the meantime, can whatever settings are being used to generate the live section just be made a new "Fast Hidden Line" render mode?

2 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

Just confused since clearly VW has already developed the rendering style we want  - but has locked it inside the live section edit.  In the meantime, can whatever settings are being used to generate the live section just be made a new "Fast Hidden Line" render mode?

I have asked engineers this, and apparently its a combination of many magic tricks, but they see the logic in wanting it's benefits outside of that editing mode. We shall see!

1 hour ago, halfcouple said:

waiting VW to finish rendering

believe it or not this has actually work out for the best...in a way

IF i have fabrication drawings AND i am working in VW for the placement of those parts in the site model, then while VW is rendering and I'm waiting, i just focus on my left screen and work on the fab drawings in Onshape.  then when vw has updated then i go back to it and make another sheet or set of VPs.  

Its working rather well and my wait time is reduced.

was thinking about a 2nd seat of VW but i don't think i can run VW like this on the same project and on the same computer

(i don't like project sharing with "check-in/check out" i do WGR for everything)

5a02e8be08246_WhileIwait.thumb.JPG.e8af6430a69508e1f5a040d611c3ddc5.JPG

anyway to have a script or something in the background that keep track of the wait times for each click? then this should be a default check system that the people run on any new updates before they release anything...

maybe there is a robotic program that makes sheets and goes through a series of clicks to gauge speed of the current program...then the goal is to have a company threshold that if not met they do not release that feature until it works with the overall speed threshold...

1 second max should be the threshold for any button click 

Ok to be fair... i just uploaded the reactor model to Onshape and it can't handle it...

In VW i can fly around rather well but in Onshape its remains heavily faceted..

the official word from tech is I started to "hit a limit" and they are working on ways to improve large model navigation

So VW is the master of fly thru mode and large models...good job 

Onshape is good for small fabrication/parts/bom management

(I'm trying to figure out a work flow with the 2 software systems)

5a048a19073ba_OnshapeFacetingoflargemodel.png.cb6bc9422130a1a38c4d3c03722dcf65.png

I always wonder anyway,

how your projects can run in such a way on a lousy 4 year old legacy Machine from

a consumer product vendor, instead of needing a complete data center and are even

still editable.

So it would see this as a huge compliment to VW.

Edited by zoomer