Hidden Line Rendering 20 min vs 3 Seconds

maybe someone can enlighten me as to why Hidden Line Rendering in Onshape only took 3 seconds (yes, seconds not 3 min) but in VW it took 20 min? (shown below)

(hidden line render is between the top view and front view)

while i would not ever show hidden lines in the front view below because there is no purpose...i just thought it interesting that the same part in Onshape (cloud based) converted to hidden lines in 3 seconds...

59fd9e6feae98_VW20min.png.3c9ea757d190f9a425dd129dba987d6e.png

Edited by digitalcarbon

There are two kinds of "hidden line" renderings in VW, "normal" hidden line and "fast" hidden line. If you hit "hidden line" rendering, it will give you "normal" hidden line, which goes through calculations line by line, face by face, test the distance between the camera and the actual lines. This produce "real line segments" that will give us many benefits, e.g. sketch rendering, highlight the lines behind objects in different representations, decide whether it needs to show highlight lines or not, and ready to export vector-based drawings. 

For the "fast" hidden line, you can find them in "Section/Elevation in-Place" editing mode. We are basically using an OpenGL trick to create similar effects. You will find some differences in between these two hidden line modes. This is fast, interactive, and real-time rendering almost without any wait. I guess OnShape uses this technique to render hidden line using WebGL in your browser instead of getting the actual "lines" from the server. You can read some more discussions in this thread -

In my opinion, there are rooms for performance improvements in the "normal" hidden line mode in VW. For instance, we can show the "fast" hidden line first, and gradually pull the results from the normal hidden line to the view. I'm not sure how soon this can be done, but I'm sure there are some re-engineering tasks to do prior to it

Edited by Chih-Pin
8 minutes ago, Chih-Pin said:

For the "fast" hidden line, you can find them in "Section/Elevation in-Place" editing mode.

Ah,

there they are ...

I remember JimW posting a little video many months ago but

I didn't see any speed improvements (in standard views)

Edited by zoomer

If you have a section viewport you can right click to open the new direct edit mode.

And like construction Layer view render modes at top right,

my Sections were set to (standard) HL, but it was realtime, if I rotate my geometry in such an edit mode.

That is really cool .....

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

If you're in a sheet layer, then you need to select the render option in the Object Info Palette.

As for the original topic, I've never understood why hidden line takes so freakin' long.  Read above about it doing full calculations, but find it crazy that there hasn't been a simple line render before.

to be fair...you are not going to get the image below in Onshape no matter how hard you try...so VW has a LOT of custom tweaking 

what i want to know is IF VW goes to the cloud will it be faster and more stable or no?

it takes me a lot of time to make the image below...lots of updating vp, going in and out of annotation mode  

then IF the client says "i don't like all the color...just make it black and white" then i am sunk because it takes a tremendous abound of render time to do Hidden Line or Dashed Hidden Line

so at the bottom i made it Dashed Hidden Line (took 2 min) to find out that it really did not work and i need to spend time investigating why

Why did the probe disappear?

Why did the compost pile disappear?

59fe50e5ed944_ScreenShot2017-11-04at7_42_04PM.png.f7f391448e9766a4f7557501ea78342e.png

59fe526d43de7_2min.png.5777de8586f03d3cb0adf32ba75a745f.png