Railing/Fence Tool Top Rail Profile

Ed Wachter

Take a look in your VW Folder:Libraries:Defaults:Railing Fence.  There should be several files there that have the Default Content for the profiles. I don't know exactly which file, so you will need to open up the files and figure it out.

If you put a Vectorworks file using the same relative path in your User folder (or Workgroup Folder if you use workgroups), you should be able to put whatever profiles you want into the file and have them show up. You probably need to Restart VW after creating the new files in the User Folder to make them visible.

It is recommended that you put your custom stuff in the User or Workgroup folder so that you don't have to recreate the information if you have to reinstall VW or if those files are updated in a future service pack.

If you don't need the metric or imperial versions, you can either delete the appropriate files, or (my favorite) is to zip/compress the file and then delete it. That makes it easy to get back if you need it (as the compressed version is still in the right location) but not showing you unneeded default content.

Pat,

Thanks. I'm using a Mac. If I go to "User/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks 2018/Libraries/Defaults/Railing Fence", I see a few folders with promising names like Profile Top Rail but the folders are empty. Am I looking in the right place? 

I probably won't get back to this issue until Monday but your help is greatly appreciated.

Ed

• 1 month later...

Is there also a bug in how the top railing is created in 3D Line versions of the Railing Tool for use on stairs and slopes?   In the attached image you will see various behavior and orientations of the same custom top rail profile depending on the the angle of the stair and the extension settings.  Orientation of the top rail should be the same in each instance.   This would make the Railing Tool unusable for anything that needs to connect to a stair or slope and only good for isolated horizontal runs with no change in height.

I can't find any controls to bring vertical and angled top rails back into the expected alignment.

VW2018 SP2

RailingBug.jpeg