Reposition a dimension?

Bruce, go into Vectorworks Preferences and then to the Interactive tab. on the left hand side is a box with sliders next to it for the Selection box size and the Snap box size. Are these set to be the same?

The Selection box is the inside box. If you are closer to the end point that this setting, you will get the Interactive Scaling cursor (Diagonal double arrow) and when you click and drag the object will scale.

The Snap box is the outside box. If you are further than the Selection distance, but closer than the Snap distance, you will get the two tiny red dots at the top left of the Snap box to tell you you are going to snap to an object.

If you make the Selection box bigger, you will be able to move close to an object and get a move cursor (black cross, or open triangle) and be able to click and move the object without rescaling it. It you move closer to you are actually over the blue selection handle, the cursor will change to the Interactive Scaling cursor and you will be able to resize the object.

For at least a little while I recommend that you increase the size of both the Selection and Scaling boxes and go into the Interactive Appearance settings and change the color, line thickness and most importantly the opacity of both boxes so you can see where they are and how they work.

For me, a bigger Selection box works better as I don't have to be so fiddly about being exactly over the blue selection handle to be able to get the move or rescale option I want.