Render Viewport colors so they match my custom colors?

Bruce Kieffer

Is there some rendering setting that will match the custom colors I've created? Here's my example: These are 3d objects placed on a design layer and then I created my viewport. I want the dimension text fill color to match the rendered colors of the viewport. I can't make it happen. None for fill on the dimensions would be great, but then the dimension witness lines cross through the text.59fb96948fe4b_ScreenShot2017-11-02at5_01_46PM.png.baa739ad991dc69283484bdb48359e71.png

4 minutes ago, markdd said:

Can you not turn off the fill in the dimension class? If not then there is always the colour picker in the colour palette. Just a couple of thoughts.

No because without a fill the lines cross through the text, and I have tried the color picker and that's a lot of work and inconsistent results.

59fb9e5837ee2_ScreenShot2017-11-02at5_36_32PM.png.8a621ee71ea7f6e0cfbb48753e9e3401.png

This is always going to be a hard thing to do. I don't think the dimension fill color is rendered, so it does not account for lighting in the scene. Even if you assigned the same color to the object and the text fill, they will not look alike.

For flat drawings like you are showing, you might be able to use one of the older rendering modes like Unshaded Polygon that I don't think take the lighting into account and you might get a better match between your colors.

20 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

without a fill the lines cross through the text

Bruce - why don't you use the text offset setting. They don't have to be exactly on the line do they?

59fcb9153629e_ScreenShot2017-11-03at18_40_27.png.6c40174dedcc39e058dc7fd4a210da16.png

You can drag the dimension box to wherever you'd like (off the line), but entering a value in Text Off will keep your dims consistant.

EDIT..

Sorry - should have added  - Then you don't need a fill to the dimension

Edited by Gadzooks
On 11/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, Gadzooks said:

Bruce - why don't you use the text offset setting. They don't have to be exactly on the line do they?

59fcb9153629e_ScreenShot2017-11-03at18_40_27.png.6c40174dedcc39e058dc7fd4a210da16.png

You can drag the dimension box to wherever you'd like (off the line), but entering a value in Text Off will keep your dims consistant.

EDIT..

Sorry - should have added  - Then you don't need a fill to the dimension

I like the look of the text on the line. My solution of rendering with 61% ambient lighting is working great for all my viewports.

1 hour ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

I like the look of the text on the line

No worries - Def go with what you want. Your work-around certainly seems to work.

From your screen shots, another issue seems to be the poor legibility of the fractions. I don't use them (UK) but I'm a little surprised at the poor resolution of fractions. I assume some fonts are better than others.

14 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

No worries - Def go with what you want. Your work-around certainly seems to work.

From your screen shots, another issue seems to be the poor legibility of the fractions. I don't use them (UK) but I'm a little surprised at the poor resolution of fractions. I assume some fonts are better than others.

Fraction display has been a problem for a long time. Fortunately when exporting to a PDF the fractions do appear correctly formatted. I look forward to a time when they look correct on screen too.