Symbol colour change depending on value in record format

Is it possible to change the colour of an object within a symbol depending on the value of an attached record format value.

Example: If "Single phase" is selected in the attached record format data, part of the symbol will be highlighted blue, but it it is changed to "three phase" it the assigned object in the symbol is changed to red.... Similar to "link text to record"... but not with text.

I have used data visualisation the past, but is there a way to do this on the design layer?

It would be easier/quicker to identify that symbol by an assigned colour, directly on the design layer, rather than having to select each instance and review it's record format value to find the desired symbol, or going to the viewport to see the assigned colours each time.

I haven't used data visualisation yet but as it uses records you should be able to use worksheets to control symbol records Symblo object colour appearance. I have a few "housekeeping" type worksheets that I use in a similar way to control the appearance/display of things like drawing labels, space objects and title blocks. 

On 11/3/2017 at 11:43 PM, Mike T said:

It would be easier/quicker to identify that symbol by an assigned colour, directly on the design layer, rather than having to select each instance and review it's record format value to find the desired symbol, or going to the viewport to see the assigned colours each time.

@Mike T. @Jonathan Pickup's suggestion to use Data Visualisation could still work for you because you can easily access the Design Layer through a Sheet Layer Viewport just by double-clicking on it. 

Edited by Jeremy Best
Tagged a mentioned member