Roof boundaries (clipped eaves/ verge)

mike-h

I'm wanting all elements of the roof structure, except for the surface (tiles) to extend no further than the inner face of the walls to produce what we in the UK generally call a clipped or struck verge  (and the same at the eaves) ie. no overhang, fascia etc. - the tiles cover the wall and are bedded in mortar. The settings in Edit Roof Style -  'Edge Condition, Wall Associated, Bound: Inner Face of wall, look like they should do the trick but seem to have no effect (see screenshots - I edited the 150mm mineral wool element as that should show clearly either way). I've also tried everything I could think of under the manual settings (Manual Bound/ Offset etc.) but couldn't get any visible difference there either..

Any thoughts or words of wisdom - or even better a steer as to how to make it work - much appreciated

Mike

Screen_Shot_2017-11-02_at_14_11_31.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 14.16.27.png

Thanks - thats what I felt should work, but I have no effect from those settings - see screenshot where the edge bound for the mineral wool is -250mm. It also feels like 'Modification - Clipped by walls' should do what I want, but it doesn't. The roof is modelled out of individual faces, interestingly I've just tried a test model with a 'Create Roof', and within that the negative offset works for the components as I want it to. I've generally used roof faces more sucessfully than the Create Roof tool as we have a lot of asymmetric & irregular or monopitch roofs.

Screen_Shot_2017-11-02_at_15_21_47.png

I agree with Fabrica if I understand you correctly Mike) . I use two roof components. A thin tile roof and a thicker "inner roof" As you correctly note, with complex roofs it is better to use roof faces sometimes. The issue with the create roof tool is once you ungroup it it will make all sides of a roof component  "jut out" +(x) whatever you have specified. Something I have put in a wish list req to rectify. cheers D

26 gomer.JPG

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Very nice Textures.

Very nice (and complex) Project.

I agree with Fabrica if I understand you correctly Mike) . I use two roof components. A thin tile roof and a thicker "inner roof" As you correctly note, with complex roofs it is better to use roof faces sometimes. The issue with the create roof tool is once you ungroup it it will make all sides of a roof component  "jut out" +(x) whatever you have specified. Something I have put in a wish list req to rectify. cheers D

You can click on the green arrow (love button) left beside number of hearts field at he right bottom

of a post. If you don't see that, maybe it needs a minimum amount of own posts, for getting the

voting diploma.

Thanks for the PDF with interior.

I thought it will be quite complex and interesting after I saw those many skylights.

Edited by zoomer
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment Alan. It was an iterative process. Firstly I hate black so I use a grey pencil-like line tone. Secondly although I love RW I find a lot of the colour/tones too photorealistic. I was taught by Dave Donley to export the images into Photoshop and reduce the colour/tones and export them back. Since our job is to get clients to buy the design itself it is important they do not over-focus on the colour/image so this helps. The glass is "figured light blue" I was greatly supported by Tamsin Slatter with the overall render which I am very happy with. Of course I deploy the heliodon tools for shadow and set the Ambient occlusion pretty high.

It has taken 4 years for us to get to where we are. We are now capable of producing amazing section images as well. I have to say 4 years ago I very reluctantly upgraded to VW Architect and Renderworks believing it would not incrementally benefit us. Through sheer hard work, patience and determination (and support from Design Software Solutions now Vectorworks UK and this site) we have reaped the benefits of this amazing programme.  I'd say our design stage is now 30-40% more efficient in terms of time saved as our clients "get" the designs so much quicker. And pay us quicker! What's not to like? :- )

I'd be happy to drop box the render to you?

Cheers D 

83 Wensleydale Road New Build and Referenced ex.jpg

Edited by David S

@David SHi, I totally agree with you in selling the design to the Client this ways as the Client can be consumed with the colour or materials and you find you are discussing that rather than the concept. We are the same, a white model first. I try to do it all in VW as things often change on the run even in the Client walkthough.

Thanks again for sharing.

Guest egidoro
On 2/12/2017 at 11:20 PM, Alan Woodwell said:

Could you possibly post a file with your render style??

Very nice rendering.

I would like this too.
But for vw 2017 ... I do not have the 2018 version.

Edited by egidoro
8 hours ago, Markvl said:

Interesting thoughts @David S.  Finishes are very subjective and they do get in the way of the overall design.  Something I may experiment with.  Your render looks great.

Thanks Mark. Appreciated. We often find our (lovely) clients completely spacially unaware. No idea what they are incrementally getting. They only start to get it in 3d sections/ 3d plan images. We don't get paid to do too many internals/ 3d internal renders as it takes too much time but I believe we have hit a soft spot where we can do this to a degree as it makes the decisioning so much easier/quicker. We use live viewports totally now, so when "they come back :-) " and want a window or 2 moved and the fridge in a different place it's so quick to update. Like I said, never looked back! Of course all this makes the working dwgs so much easier too, but that's a different story!

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if the root of this question was ever answered fully.  I have found that none of these roof and wall associations work as advertised even in the simplest of cases.

Take the attached for instance.  I am able to get the roof insulation to clip at the wall only in some places but on the gable ends. No matter what settings are input I get the same results.  This is created from a VWorks default wall style with 4 walls and a 'create roof' command.  All the components are VWorks default library - I can't draw any other conclusion from this other than it is a tool that simply doesn't work right.  ANyone else?

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.44.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.48.51 PM.png

Guest Wes Gardner

@ lgoodkind,

So far, you're right...dunno if you can tell from the image below, but it seems that the initial hip roof that the tool creates has the desired clipping but once you ask it to create a gable end, it doesn't know what to do...I'll keep looking for options and/or submit a bug/enhancement request.

Wes

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 12.36.49 PM.png

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Did a quick test here is 2023.  It looks like the offset is working.  In this example, I have 3 layers to the roof style and I offset the inner "rafters" layer to align with the inner wall core (using the Create Roof tool).  Could have been any of the choices.  But, it is aligning OK on the eaves AND the rakes.  However, I had to do it manually because if you did it automatically using the bounded walls, it got confused when one side of the simple rectangular layout of exterior walls had a non-continuous wall.  It ended up offsetting OK on all but that one side.  Well, most of the time, one is going to have conditions like that.  So, I switched to manually offsetting and it worked.  The problem now is that I cannot have my rake with a different overhang than my eave, which is also a VERY common condition.  So, halfway there?  Seems like a simple addition for Gable conditions to add.

Next request, and this may be more uncommon, but in my area, we are often using thinner eave framing than what is needed on the interior of the roof (where thick insulation is needed).  So, in those cases, being able to adjust the thickness of the roof component (from the top edge) would be perfect.  Curious if this would be useful for anyone else.  Roof forms are almost always more complicated than someone in the application development team thinks and this tool needs to be more complex too.  Because of that reality, I typically need to use the Roof Face tool instead of the Create Roof tool, so I will be checking that out next.  Still, progress is encouraging.

image.thumb.png.8fcf9673046e3c5252fe5da671ed9ca8.pngDid