Curved window molding

bohlr, sounds like you might have never used the "extrude along path" command, so I'll include a little more information you mightneed in addition to propstuff's suggestion. You don't have to use the nurbs curve tools to define a path, you can use a regular arc or a polyline. Either way, you need to have both your path and profile selected before you can use the "Extrude along path" command. Normally, the path you draw will represent the edge of a window...a jamb maybe. When you extrude along path however, the profile is extruded along the path about the center of the profile. This is never the way it needs to be though. You can double click on your new 3D extrusion and edit either the path or the profile. If you select the "profile" you can reposition your profile relative to the path...usually by moving a corner of your profile to the center locus of the editing screen. If you play around with "editing" the extrusion, you'll figure it out quickly I'm sure.

quote:

Originally posted by tom kyler:

You don't have to use the nurbs curve tools to define a path, you can use a regular arc or a polyline.

Hi Tom, you're right; I was brief.

Richard said

"advice on creating a 3d curved window molding?"

so I guessed he meant a moulding curved in Plan and Elevation.

Starting with an Arc or poly of the window elevation profile, then converting it to a NURBS curve, and moving to a Plan view to pull the head of the curve to follow the Plan profile would probably be needed.

It does need a little practice using NURBs manipulation. (a bit like Beziers only trickier)

cheers,

N.