Downloading Resrouce Manager Libraries

SueCreak

Question

I have recently downloaded VW 2018 – and have the usual faffing around with the libraries!!

I downloaded all the resource libraries from within VW using the Help – Download Content option, selecting Install All.  (This includes things like the Objects-Landscape Plants folder that contains 2D top plan and elevation artistic and photorealistic plants and 3D image props, the arroways textures, and the entourage plants)

When this has completed I can see they are all in the C:\programfiles\Vectorworks 2018\Libraries directory however the Resource Manager fails to display them… even when closing VW down and restarting.  (At this stage I take a backup of the library to my PC).

I then use the Resource manager option to Refresh the Libraries and guess what…. It does now know about all the libraries but It has deleted all the files from C:\programfiles\Vectorworks 2018\Libraries that I had bothered to install above, and instead now has a place holder for them – so I have to download each one on request. (I have checked this against the backup I took).

If I then click on the symbol to do the download, it downloads the relevant file and also creates a proxy file in the C:\programfiles\Vectorworks 2018\Libraries folder…..  (e.g. Objects-Miscellaneous Entourage \ Entourage Plants \ Tree and Shrubs Grey Outline.vwx and Tree and Shrubs Grey Outline.vwx.proxy)

Once I’ve downloaded one item (eg  the common oak tree from the Tree and Shrubs Grey Outline file) – then the others in that file are also marked as all available without download in the Resource Manager.

I then experiment to see if copying back one file from my backup makes any difference to the Resource Manager. So I copy back Objects-Miscellaneous Entourage \ Entourage Plants \ Tree and Shrubs Outline.vwx.  The resource Manager still doesn’t know about it. And I still have to go through the motion of ‘downloading’ say the River Birch tree. Actually though VW doesn’t bother – it can recognise the file is there, and just uses that. However – all the plants in the Tree and Shrubs Outline group are still marked as needing to be downloaded.

This seems to be a complete waste of my time – to bother with the download which takes ages, and then doing the refresh that deletes everything its downloaded….

Can anyone tell me why this is the case? Is it deliberate or is it a bug?  (Its not new to 2018 as have seen it before)

I

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet