Crashing While editing Symbols in Floating Panes!

Dubman

Question

I'm noticing more VW crashing/stopped working while in floating panes, especially when trying to edit a symbol. Also in floating pane view port, editing grouped objects do not show unless you zoom in & out . But if I ungroup the object to edit it, is works fine. Does the floating pane require two graphics cards ?

Also what is a maximum file size that VW can handle with out crashing ? The office I'm in now is having crashing problems with two or three large files open at same time.     

8 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, Dubman said:

Also in floating pane view port, editing grouped objects do not show unless you zoom in & out

I think these issues with hiding or not updating geometry are still the old problems that came

already with VW 2017 OpenGL or 2D GPU acceleration updates. Especially in Edit Modes like Groups or Symbols

That could normally be "fixed" by setting VW Pref > Display > Navigation Graphics back to Good Performance.

Similar to intermediate selection or snapping failures.

As far as I know, Best Compatibility is without any GPU acceleration at all. Just CPU.

That should avoid any potential problems but is slow.

"Good Performance ..." is what it was in previous versions and that also solve many/all

potential problems.

It is just Best Performance Setting that has often hick ups.

So if you are already in the lowest setting, it is very likely that you can't expect any improvements

by changing setting upwards. So it may be something completely else.

(But doesn't hurt to try anyway)

Edited by zoomer

Hello Dubman,

I tried to edit a standard symbol in a floating pane without crashing. So there might be something else that causes the problem.

Would it be possible if you are able to attach the file or send it to me with steps to reproduce the problem if you prefer?

Thank you so much!!

Chih-Pin

4 hours ago, zoomer said:

It is just Best Performance Setting that has often hick ups.

In VW 2017 I did have to go back to Good Performance, but so far I have been on Best Performance in VW2018 on the same hardware with the exception of the system drive now being an SSD drive after the HDD failed and so far without hiccups, which surprised me a little bit given the issues in VW2017.

Or VW did manage to improve a few things that work out well for me in Best Performance mode but perhaps less so for others.

56 minutes ago, Art V said:

In VW 2017 I did have to go back to Good Performance, but so far I have been on Best Performance in VW2018 on the same hardware with the exception of the system drive now being an SSD drive after the HDD failed and so far without hiccups, which surprised me a little bit given the issues in VW2017.

Or VW did manage to improve a few things that work out well for me in Best Performance mode but perhaps less so for others.

We do improve the stabilities of Best Performance overtime, even through service packs.

This is one of our first priorities in terms of performance improvements.

9 minutes ago, Chih-Pin said:

even through service packs

Yes, earlier VW 2017 Best was hardly usable but it got better over time.

I think I used Best from 2017 SP3.

Similar today. I use Best by default but there are hick ups from time to time where

my edits don't get updated on screen or things invisible.

If deadline is near it may be that I switch back to Good for some time.

And the show invisible items was a new 2018 behavior.

Can't remember, I think it is already fixed by SP1 (?)

So far after changing it to Best Performance & Compatibility no problems.

Only other problem but have not tried since this change is adding a symbol in a viewport & then flipping it vertically, everything was fine until I reopened the file later I could not see the flipped symbol, after clicking annotation of the viewport I could tell it moved far left way off the sheet size and line and text objects separated. So I converted it to a group to look like the symbol but flipped. I know you should be able to do this in a viewport, not just design layers.