VW 2018 Text is Stretched When Exported to PDF

LinetteOrigin

Question

Running VW 2018 SP1 on Mac.

We have a few fonts (specifically DIN) that we use for our drawings that are becoming distorted when exported to PDF. The characters become squished to look tall and narrow with lots of space between each letter. This is occurring in all text including titleblocks as well as drawing labels.

Changing to a system font seems to fix this (tested with Helvetica). Unfortunately our title block was really designed around the DIN font, so changing the font would require a complete redesign of our titleblock. 

The problem can be fixed by checking the "rasterize text" option in the export to PDF window, but this is really not ideal.

The font was working perfectly for us in VW 2017 and prior. Anybody else with font issues in 2018? Any possible solutions?

Edited by LinetteOrigin

11 answers to this question

I've had this stretched text issue in previous versions as well, it does not happen very often and so far it looks like it happens less in VW2018  than in previous versions. It seems to be related to a viewport update/changeas it only happens if you have viewports and there is a change to one of them and often the text is part of a symbol.

What may help to fix it most of the time is to edit the symbol 2D component, select the offending texts of the same size, adjust the text size to the next smaller or larger size and then set it back to the correct size. Repeat this for other text sizes.

If this happens to text not part of a symbol then do the same thing.

It may still occur again during the session or on a next session but it may also stay away for a long time in that drawing. In another drawing it may not happen at all. I've never been able to exactly pinpoint the cause nor to reproduce it consistently by doing a series of actions in VW, there is some randomness to this happening.

6 hours ago, Art V said:

I've had this stretched text issue in previous versions as well, it does not happen very often and so far it looks like it happens less in VW2018  than in previous versions. It seems to be related to a viewport update/changeas it only happens if you have viewports and there is a change to one of them and often the text is part of a symbol.

What may help to fix it most of the time is to edit the symbol 2D component, select the offending texts of the same size, adjust the text size to the next smaller or larger size and then set it back to the correct size. Repeat this for other text sizes.

If this happens to text not part of a symbol then do the same thing.

It may still occur again during the session or on a next session but it may also stay away for a long time in that drawing. In another drawing it may not happen at all. I've never been able to exactly pinpoint the cause nor to reproduce it consistently by doing a series of actions in VW, there is some randomness to this happening.

I tried the "changing text size fix" as recommended but unfortunately the problem persists. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Another question, though I am not sure if that is the cause as you are on Mac and I am on Windows so font handling is probably different, is the font you use an OpenType OTF font or an OpenType TTF font?  In the past VW preferred TTF fonts though it nowadays can also use OTF fonts (at least on Windows, not sure if this was an issue on Mac).  There are still CAD programs that don't accept OTF OpenType fonts but only TTF OpenType fonts or old style TrueType fonts, which imho is silly given how long OpenType is around.

If you have the option of switching to the other font format you could try to see if that makes a difference.

If not then I suggest you have tech support take a look at it.

Hi i'm having the same issues....

I have tried reinstalling the fonts on font book, still no luck.

As mentioned above, the issue can be resolved using a generic font like arial, but I would prefer to keep using my current font.

It worked fine on VW 2017, just seems to be doing this on VW 2018.

I am also experiencing this issue with the 'DIN' font (which has worked fine on all previous version of VW and still works fine in 2017). Has anyone got a resolution to this problem yet? - Having to rasterize when exporting to pdf is not ideal.

Edited by Watkins389

Hi. just thought I'd weigh in on this as well. You are not alone!
I too am having the same issues using EXPORT to PDF, which I have used in previous versions, but now does not work properly.
PRINT to PDF appears to render the fonts as they should appear, however, although I sure wish the export to pdf tool worked. :(

36 minutes ago, NeilB said:

I have a "DIN Pro" font and I'm not having any trouble exporting sheets to PDF. I'd like to see what font you're using. Thanks!

For OpenType fonts there are basically three categories, standard (Std), pro (Pro) and commercial (Com), the latter is one you don't see as much as the other two. These designations are more about the how extensive the language support is where OpenType Std fonts are usually only Latin or Latin Extended whereas the Pro fonts often have more non-Latin languages like Cyrillic, Greek, Asian languages etc.

Std, Pro or Com say nothing about the technical quality of the font files. For DIN there are quite a few versions, Linotype and Monotype have their own versions with very tiny differences even though Monotype owns Linotyp (and FontFont, MyFont, ITC, Ascender (e.g. Consolas font) and a few more font foundries), Paratype has a large set of DIN fonts in various version etc.

Even if it does not says Std it can still support e.g. Greek and Cyrillic and Asian languages as not every font designer use the Std, Pro and Com designations.

I've had the same issue with the Arial font and some other fonts from reputable sources like Linotype, so it is not necessarily the font that is at fault. The issue happens more often with rotated texts or rotated plan views and can happen in one document and not in the other.