3D lines are a real struggle for me

Hi there

I would like to just draw a simple line on the z axis of my drawing. In Sketchup you do this by locking onto any axis of your choice, I can not figure out how to do this in VW. I have been reading a lot and found a way via 3D Polygon. Here I then struggle with entering the length accordingly and accurate. In the Screenshot you can seem three polygons on the layer. But I would prefer to just draw lines and then connect to create the surface. In my line of work I can not use double walls. So I have to basically draw 2d surfaces which can live on any axis.

Would be great if someone could help here.

thank you

VW Lines.jpeg

You can draw at any angle with just about any tool. The key to getting it right first time is to set the drawing plane you want to draw on initially. This can easily be done by clicking on the origin in a 3d view an the Plane tool will appear. If you manipulate that then a pink pane will appear showing the "surface" or plane you are now drawing on. This is all related as well to the Active Plane menu in the tool bar59f5980d79435_ScreenShot2017-10-29at08_57_16.png.886cb3d4461e9e849075dd8cdbbe5feb.png

It takes a bit of practice but is easy once you get the hang of it. You should probably read up on Working Planes in the help section or do a youtube search where there are several videos about this.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gert Sanner said:

thank you Alan, very kind. yes that works. Just realised that the number keyboard on Mac doesn't work for that. The Numberkeys under the F buttons however do your trick. 

This will take a little getting used to. 

cheers

You should be able to use the number pad on your Mac as that is how I change views all the time. Also I might suggest that you use the new multiple view plans option in VW 2018 and change your working plane with Set Working Plane tool (Shift -1). I prefer the second mode Planar Face Mode to easily draw in the Z access. And as a reminder use your "U" key to change modes in the first section of every tool. Best of luck with your project.

3D drafting 01.jpeg

3D drafting 02.jpeg

3D drafting 03.jpeg

• Like 1

I would draw that proscenium in front view with SCREEN PLANE active in 2D and then extrude it.....or draw it's footprint in top/plan view as 2D then extrude it.  I would then draw another rectangle for the proscenium opening, extrude it tot he correct height and SOLID SUBTRACT it from the first extrude.  Not that this is better, just offering a different perspective on how to approach this.

23 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

I would draw that proscenium in front view with SCREEN PLANE active in 2D and then extrude it.....or draw it's footprint in top/plan view as 2D then extrude it.  I would then draw another rectangle for the proscenium opening, extrude it tot he correct height and SOLID SUBTRACT it from the first extrude.  Not that this is better, just offering a different perspective on how to approach this.

I would often use similar approaches. In this case, given how simple things look, I would probably use a wall and a doorway (configuration set to opening) as the proscenium opening. This method has the advantage of a nice top/plan view.

KM

• 5 months later...
On 10/29/2017 at 2:02 AM, markdd said:

You can draw at any angle with just about any tool. The key to getting it right first time is to set the drawing plane you want to draw on initially. This can easily be done by clicking on the origin in a 3d view an the Plane tool will appear. If you manipulate that then a pink pane will appear showing the "surface" or plane you are now drawing on. This is all related as well to the Active Plane menu in the tool bar59f5980d79435_ScreenShot2017-10-29at08_57_16.png.886cb3d4461e9e849075dd8cdbbe5feb.png

It takes a bit of practice but is easy once you get the hang of it. You should probably read up on Working Planes in the help section or do a youtube search where there are several videos about this.

@markdd is there a quick way to toggle on/off that pink square that indicates current working plane?

5 hours ago, Janvin Lowe said:

@markdd is there a quick way to toggle on/off that pink square that indicates current working plane?

Not that I'm aware of. If you find the Pink Square off-putting, then you can change its colour and opacity in the Interactive appearance part of the Vectorworks Preferences Interactive tab. This is more of a long-term change though and not really appropriate for toggling on or off.