Wish List 2019? Live Section cut viewports functionality/display

David S

Question

Good morning Jim. Attached (left) is a section cut through a model. Being able to do this greatly speeds up our clients' design decisioning because many are not spacially aware. To see the design in context to stairs/fridges & beds etc helps them get a sense of space. I can say since we adopted this method our planning design process time has reduced by about 30% which is great as we work on a fixed fee AND we get paid quicker!. Currently I section viewport cut from the clip cube and manipulate the model until I get a "good view", and then export an image file. I have to repeat this process if the designs change but if it was a *live* "angled" section I would not have to do this. At present if I create a live section viewport to do this the angle options/image options are quite limited (see diagram 2) It would be great if this was possible in VW2019! I have been chatting about this with your colleagues in the UK. Otherwise all up and running on 2018 now and really enjoying the new functionality. The office is starting to look like the NASA command center with all our split screens!  Cheers David

83 Wensleydale Road ext cut.jpg

83 oblique.jpg

• Like 1

I hope I understand you correctly. If I do then you can do this easily enough now. As you said, from the clipcube result, highlight the pane you want to section and right click create section viewport. Place the resulting viewport on a new empty design layer and view the viewport in a 3D view. If you want to create a Sheet Layer viewport of the view you like, then switch to Screen Plane, draw a Rectangle around the viewport of the Section Viewport and create a Sheet Layer Viewport in the usual way. I hope that works for you... You can change the view of it from there easily enough as well by choosing a custom view.

I am sure that in time the new Edit Section In Place command on Sheet Layer Section Viewports will allow you to modify the viewing angle as well. Its going to be such a useful feature.

Thanks for your prompt reply Mark. VW does not allow me to place a viewport in a design layer? I wasn't sure also what you meant by "view the viewport in a 3D view". When I try to (see attached) create a viewport of the section cut it shows the external building not the cut? It's entirely possible my rambling has got lost in translation!?  Regards   David

83 process.JPG

Just been out and got back to see this! Thank you very much for taking the time - especially on a Saturday - to do this. I am now going to attempt it myself and work out what it was I was doing wrong and report back on my stupidity! I have been known in the past to produce very dark external renders not realising I had the heliodon set on 9pm in February :-)

This could save our practice even more hours of time. Right off we go......many thanks again! Regards David

This is by far the best video I've seen today and yes, that works! Thank you again!! This is going to save hours of time. This software never ceases to amaze me. My mistake was sending the live viewport to a sheet layer, not a design layer. I always fall at the first hurdle. I didn't know you could do that. This is excellent! On the working assumption you are in the uk perhaps you might be good enough to send/ message me your address so I can send you a nice bottle of wine or something to say thank you? Or you can visit my wife's/our website at gokarchitects.co.uk and contact us that way?

In the same week I learned to reference files from one file to another, loaded up 2018, and now this, this week just can't get any better!

resolution.jpg

• Like 1

The design layer viewport trick is fine as a work around, but it adds another layer of updating and adjusting.  It would be ideal if we could just shoot a perspective/ortho/whatever view straight to the sheet layer with the clip cube active, like we can with any other view.  This wishlist item gets my vote.

So if i correct understand the process is

1) turn on the clip cube in a design layer

2) set the view

3) create a viewport on design layer

4) re-create a viewport to see it correctly on the sheet layer and render it if you need?

It should be called a matryoshka viewport!

Should work fine if you follow the steps in the video I made.

3 minutes ago, Zeno said:

It should be called a matryoshka viewport!

That’s about right!

You will need to make sure that the design layer viewport “referenced” in the sheet layer viewport is constantly updated. Tha navigation palette is very useful for this.

On 24/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, markdd said:

Yes. Seems to work fine but I haven’t tested it out too much, but it worked fine when I wanted to do a “white card” render style a few months ago.

Ok, it works correctly, but with a render style, you can't see the component.

any suggest? How could fix it?

Clip_Cube_Viewport.jpg

4 minutes ago, markdd said:

Here is the viewport rendered with the Realistic Exterior Final setting. The one on the left is "Out of the box" the one on the right has had its Indirect Lighting turned off.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 09.35.06.png

So I need to choose between indirect light and components?

Its not ideal, but there is a workaround. It gets you to what you want.

1. Make a copy of each viewport. On the design layer, copy your section viewport to a new layer and disable "display objects beyond view plane". This will just show the components
  2. Make a copy of your Sheet Layer Viewport and just set it to view the design layer where the components viewport is
  3. Select both Sheet Layer Viewports and Align them so that the copied viewport sits on top! 

Slightly long-winded but it works!

5a953904ae340_ScreenShot2018-02-27at10_54_40.thumb.png.e9cac46c7ea26c37f6b3aafc82346133.png

Perspective_Wall_components.vwx