Recovering corrupt file

Dick Jenkins

Question

Unfortunately I am fairly certain I have a corrupted file (section viewports are showing the cut view plus a random view at the same time in Open GL). It is happening in all of my back-ups so rebuilding from there does not work. VW Tech people could not figure out what is going on and sent it to engineering. Meanwhile I have to move forward on the project. It seems in the past I have read about a process of cutting and pasting into a new file drawing by drawing and recreating viewports, etc. I tested it with one drawing and it seems to work. Is this the correct thing to do and does anyone have a process/checklist for doing so. Fortunately the project is in the DD phase so it won’t be as bad as if I were deep in CDs - but I suspect it will take up much of my day because there is still a lot of information there. How can I make sure I don’t transfer the “bug” in the process?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Dick Jenkins

1 answer to this question

I've had to do it a few times.

1. New file, make new layers as you had.
  2. Copy sets of objects in the old file, by layers
  3. Paste objects in their new layer, classes will come along with them
  4. Make new Sheets, viewports,
  5. You can copy non-viewport objects between files (title blocks, scale bars, even annotations)
  6. Rebuild your saved views (I like to have most based on the viewports)

I think that covers it, but I can't promise. :)