Test rendering time by the community

Nico_be

Hello,

What do you think to participe to a test of rendering time between different sort of computer?
In attachement there is a file (VW2017) with a simple 3D polygon with grass texture and a tree (VBVisual). An heliodon to light the scene.

The test : rendering the viewport without changing anything!  =>> Open the file and update the viewport, ONLY.

Reply to this message and note the total rendering time, OS, VW version, CPU, Memory. And copy/paste or attach a pdf with the result.

I have to change my PC and i'm wondering wich would be the better speed/price :-)

I'm curious..

Nico

Test_renderworks.zip

Quicker would be to look at the cinebench scores for your options here: https://us.rebusfarm.net/en/tempbench?view=benchmark

I use two machines both running VW2018:

Windows 10/AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 3.33GHZ/32GB RAM - Cinerender R15 Score 2908 but slower at single thread tasks

Windows 10/Intel Core i7-7800X Overclocked to 4.5GHz/32GB RAM - Cinerender R15 Score 1453 but noticeably quicker on single thread tasks

• Like 1

I thought I'd render your test file on both my machines to satisfy my curiosity.

I think if you want people to do a participatory test you might have to simplify your test file.  I'm 40 minutes in on a machine with one of the fastest processors on the market and less than an 8th of the way through rendering...... :D

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can't devote my main machine to a long render test today, I hit 2.5 hours and had to switch over to another task, apologies:

Screen_Shot_2017-10-27_at_12_25.58_PM.png

But I took a look at your render style settings and I think you can shave a HUGE chunk of time off with a little tweaking, this image finished in 37minutes after i created a copy of your render style and edited it a bit in the attached file.

Test_renderworks_-_JimW_Edited_Style.vwx

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

My pc specs (personal pc, not work pc)

AMD Ryzen 1600x

16gb ram 2333mhz (waiting to upgrade it to 32gb)

m.2 ssd 250gb (where software is installed)
Gtx 1080ti

H115i cooler

And i've rendered the Jim W style in 11m 11s the other one i haven't tried out!

I have a question regarding the grass, how to make this kind of grass ?

Edited by FBernardo
4 minutes ago, FBernardo said:

I have a question regarding the grass, how to make this kind of grass ?

Brief overview of the Grass shader:

I plan to do a more detailed one soon. A more in depth one can be found here:

At the moment the cloud instances we spin up are comparable to a single desktop, it isn't distributed-style rendering, just keeping the rendering off your machine at this point. I've asked if we plan to change this in the near future, or spin up much more powerful instances, but have not heard back on it yet.