UN Create Objects from Shapes

ericjhberg

Question

We often use the Create Objects From Shapes... tool to turn regular polys into plug-in objects like hardscapes, landscape areas, etc. Until recently (v2018) this would destroy curvilinear geometry, but now it doesn't. Great work.

Now what we need is the ability, somehow, to run a Un-Create Objects from Shapes to go back to the original geometry from the plug-in created. There currently is no way to do this. 

You can use the Ungroup or Convert to Group commands, but this often results in way too many resulting objects. For example, a very basic hardscape, ungrouped, results in 3-4 identical shapes overlapping, which is impossible to get rid of on large projects.

Just a thought.

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I just tried with a closed polyline converted to a landscape areas.  If I right click on the LA and choose Edit Path, I get the original geometry the LA was created from.

Have you tried that on other types of objects from shape?

Definitely not true with Hardscapes...which of course is the one we use most often.

7 hours ago, markdd said:

On many of my "convert objects from shapes" there is an option to retain the original geometry. Not exactly what you are after but helpful all the same?

We try to avoid any duplication of similar objects to minimize conflicts during editing. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than trying to remember how many duplicates need to be modified when something changes.

Are you on VW2018? Because I just created a Hardscape using Create Objects from Shapes and when I right click on it, I definitely do get an Edit Path option that gives me back the original object.

If you are on 2018 and not seeing this and are using a custom workspace, try one of the default workspaces and see what happens. If you get the results you need, then you probably need to edit your custom workspace or even better, recreate it using one of the standard workspaces as the basis.