.step-files

29 minutes ago, Bas Vellekoop said:

To which format/version number does VW export them?

I`m in need of STEP formats: AP203 and/or AP214

Generally, AP203 is a "general" STEP format.

AP203 defines the geometry, topology, and configuration management data of solid models for mechanical parts and assemblies. This file type does not manage Colors and Layers.

AP214 has everything a AP203 file includes, but adds colors, layers, geometric dimensioning and tolerance, and design intent. AP214 is considered an extension of AP203.

source: http://support1.geomagic.com/Support/5605/5668/en-us/Article/View/643/What-is-the-difference-between-STEP-file-formats-AP203-and-AP214/469

You could try exporting to STEP and then import it back into either VW or another program to see how it comes back in. Based on the descriptions above you might be able to tell which STEP version VW is using for export.

Edited by Art V
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Art V

Super late response from my side but thanks for the info!

I want to load the info into Sophia, a program of https://www.247tailorsteel.com/en/sophia
At this company you can order all kinds of sheet metals, tubes, bended sheetmetal etc. in any quantity and you get your quotations in the email in less then 5 min.
Is opens up a complete new way of working because you can order prototypes or pieces of prototypes in just a minute and have it send to you on a day you selected.
(No I don't have any shares in this company, I wish :) )

Problem is that this program doesn't read the .stp files that come out of VW. There is always an extra step of 'healing'  the geometry in Solidworks or solidedge.
The program does load it, but doesn't recognize it as sheet-metal.

Any help appreciated! 

Edited by Bas Vellekoop
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @Bas Vellekoop

Based on their website you could also try dxf and dwg, but you mentioned they want STEP files.

When you say " The program does load it, but doesn't recognize it as sheet-metal. " are you referring to the STEP file from VW or to the STEP export from Solidworks/Solid Edge after healing?

Given that you are looking for sheet metal export an option could be to export to DWG and then use BricsCAD Platinum and their sheet metal add-on which is said to be one of the best CAD sheet metal add-ons (i.e. outside of dedicated sheet metal software) but then you would be "limited" to dwg/dxf in this case without the Communicator add-on (It can export to other formats but these are not (yet?) supported by Sophia. If they still insist on STEP files then you would also need the Communicator add-on to export to STEP. Then this combination might not be cost effective for a single purpose use if you already have Solidworks or Solid Edge at your disposal. There is a 30-day trial that includes the platinum version as well as the sheet-metal add-on and the communicator add-on, so you could try to see if this might work better than the Solidworks/Solid Edge route in combination with VW.

That being said, you may want to have VW support have a look at a typical example file and STEP export to see if there is an issue with the export.

14 hours ago, Art V said:

When you say " The program does load it, but doesn't recognize it as sheet-metal. " are you referring to the STEP file from VW or to the STEP export from Solidworks/Solid Edge after healing?

@Art VOnly the step-files of VW. If they are 'healed' properly in Solidworks they work well.

Given that you are looking for sheet metal export an option could be to export to DWG and then use BricsCAD Platinum and their sheet metal add-on which is said to be one of the best CAD sheet metal add-ons (i.e. outside of dedicated sheet metal software) but then you would be "limited" to dwg/dxf in this case without the Communicator add-on (It can export to other formats but these are not (yet?) supported by Sophia.

I had a quick look at Bricscad in december, and did some quick tests/clicking around.. Right away I was missing VW :) 

But didn't really had the time to dive in to it unfortunately to figure everything out.

If they still insist on STEP files then you would also need the Communicator add-on to export to STEP. Then this combination might not be cost effective for a single purpose use if you already have Solidworks or Solid Edge at your disposal. There is a 30-day trial that includes the platinum version as well as the sheet-metal add-on and the communicator add-on, so you could try to see if this might work better than the Solidworks/Solid Edge route in combination with VW.

STEP-files would be great because they cut and laser pieces out of pipes, so then I need a 3d file.

@JimWIs the direct compatibility with these programs (Sophia / solid edge / solid works) without the steps of healing something in another software program worth looking into for VW?

Edited by Bas Vellekoop
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 12:29 PM, Bas Vellekoop said:

@JimWIs the direct compatibility with these programs (Sophia / solid edge / solid works) without the steps of healing something in another software program worth looking into for VW?

+1 for this, STEP file should not need healing if possible so improving the overall STEP output would be welcome to fix such issues.

Regarding B-cad, it is AutoCAD style so I am not surprised you were missing VW right away. :)

On 3.1.2018 at 12:29 PM, Bas Vellekoop said:

I had a quick look at Bricscad in december, and did some quick tests/clicking around.. Right away I was missing VW :)

I am much more relaxed with VW since I have B-Thing.

Both are opposite galaxies.

80% of all the things I criticized and VW and would want completely different I

got with B-Thing now and can play with them at any time. Vice Versa learning

the existence of some Autocad behaviors finally let me see more qualities in VW.

It is never as easy to learn a CAD like as a virgin when you already had another

or even more other CADs before. You will bemoan the previous features from

all of them.

I needed at least 3 years to finally find a comfortable workflow. And I played with

B-Thing since their first Mac Release.

But it is so thrilling when spotting completely new workflow options from a

"sorry, I will never bother seriously to try to work with (Autocad) tools like this"

situation, once you are reaching more understanding and find a meaning behind

the design. (I don't mean that Autocad Tools Beefing)

I was able to do all my work in VW, all Projects are still in VW.

Meanwhile I see that I could also do the VW part of my Projects in B-Thing.

But currently I run better with the Nemetschek Exchange Ecosystem for

my Visualization purposes. Until that changes, examining a collaboration

between both may also be an option.

But it feels well to have another toy and an interface option to the

Autodesk clients outside.

(Not needed here, but B-thing is also the gate to the whole mechanical ecosytem)

Edited by zoomer
  • 3 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The only notes I can find on this subject are that in 2014, Vectorworks did not attach proper meta data to it's exported .STEP files and thus any Mac trying to read them with something like Solidworks would assume it wasnt a real STEP file. However, this issue was marked as corrected in 2015 SP3.

I see no mention in the documentation on what type of STEP file (AP203, AP214 etc) we currently export. I will forward this along to see if I can get any more info.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I have exactly the same problem 2 years later...

I work with VW 2020. 

The STEP file can be imported into Sophia, the geometry is also recognized and displayed. But it is not recognized as a pipe or sheet metal plate and therefore cannot be processed further.

Is there a solution for the problem now?

thanks for your help.

• 1 year later...

Hi, almost another 2 years later... i stumble across the same issue. Sophia doesn't recognise my pipe as well in STEP. Any solution in sight? How does the 'healing' work, as Art V mentioned? When i import my VW STEP in Solidworks, I can see the object, but i can't modify it in any way.

@TID Regarding the healing, some CAD programs have a repair function though it can be named differently that checks the geometry and fixes it where possible so that it become usable again.

Sometimes it is possible to "dissolve" and object to make it a generic solid and then convert it back to a mechanical object again and parametrize it to make it a fully functional mechanical object.

What STEP  version did you use for export? Can you share an example STEP file that would show the issue?

ODA is working on a STEP engine that should allow for sharing of mechanical models with functionality more or less intact, somewhat like what IFC is for BIM. Until then you have to expect that functionality that you have in one program may get lost when exchanging to another program through STEP if it cannot interpret it.

For more info on ODA's plans with STEP you can read this article: https://www.upfrontezine.com/2021/11/upf-1111.html

Edited by Art V
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, New Dutch Workshop said:

Hi,

Has anything been done about this in the meantime? I'm running into the same problem trying to create 3D models for the Sophia software so I can have some sheet metal cut and bent. I've drawn 2D models for Sophia before and DWG works just fine for 2D.

Nope, there is not.

(For these kind of things I switched to Fusion360)