Exported image file (all formats: JPG, PNG, TIF,etc) from Sheet Layer very crude

My project is on a 24" x 36" Sheet Layer, which contains eight 2D plans and sections created from individual design layers in the file. The Design Layers are at 1/4"=1'-0" and the Sheet Layer is at 1/16"=1'0".

The resulting image files from the Export are very disappointing. Detail is lost, lines and text are exaggerated and fuzzy. Dotted and dashed lines done in one style are shown in another. I've tried different things to little avail.

I'm attaching the VWX file and my best Export JPG file done at 600 dpi, wireframe.

What might be causing these problems? Is this as good as it gets? Is there a step-by-step process for getting accurate image files from VW Sheet Layer drawings? Is the scale change the issue?

Thanks in advance . . . VW Community help is great!

Ed in Brooklyn

20171024_KST_3-Lev+Alley-01.vwx

20171024_KST_JPG_600dpi_WF-01.jpg

Sheet layers have individually settable resolution. Unfortunately, the default resolution is 72 dpi, which may be suitable for screen, but not for printing in most cases.

Go to the Organization dialog box (under Tools in the default workspaces) and choose the Sheet Layers tab.

Click the Edit Button and change the Raster Rendering DPI to something more reasonable for your use, Normally 150-300dpi is sufficient, but if you have more demanding needs it can be set higher.

If you select multiple sheet layers at once prior to clicking the edit button you can change the DPI of all of them at the same time.

You might also want to check the Advanced Properties at the bottom the Object Info Palette of the viewport. Since you are scaling DOWN you viewport, all of the line weights will be 4 times thinner. Set the Line Weight Scale and/or the other scale factors to something like 4 to make the lines heavier. You may need to try a few times to get an output you like.

16 hours ago, Brooklyn said:

My project is on a 24" x 36" Sheet Layer, which contains eight 2D plans and sections created from individual design layers in the file. The Design Layers are at 1/4"=1'-0" and the Sheet Layer is at 1/16"=1'0".

The resulting image files from the Export are very disappointing. Detail is lost, lines and text are exaggerated and fuzzy. Dotted and dashed lines done in one style are shown in another. I've tried different things to little avail.

I'm attaching the VWX file and my best Export JPG file done at 600 dpi, wireframe.

What might be causing these problems? Is this as good as it gets? Is there a step-by-step process for getting accurate image files from VW Sheet Layer drawings? Is the scale change the issue?

When I publish as PDF or export as jpg at 600 dpi it looks ok to me.
Attached are the jpeg export, PDF and a screenshot of the export settings.

Maybe it helps if you can show a screen capture of your export settings as well to see what the difference might be.

Btw, your jpeg is not that bad when you zoom to 100% it looks ok.  When zoomed out like on screen it may look fuzzy/not sharp.

20171024_KST_3-Lev+Alley-01_v2018.jpg

20171024_KST_3-Lev+Alley-01_v2018.pdf

Export settings.png

Edited by Art V
  • Like 2
On 10/25/2017 at 2:26 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Sheet layers have individually settable resolution. Unfortunately, the default resolution is 72 dpi, which may be suitable for screen, but not for printing in most cases.

Go to the Organization dialog box (under Tools in the default workspaces) and choose the Sheet Layers tab.

Click the Edit Button and change the Raster Rendering DPI to something more reasonable for your use, Normally 150-300dpi is sufficient, but if you have more demanding needs it can be set higher.

If you select multiple sheet layers at once prior to clicking the edit button you can change the DPI of all of them at the same time.

You might also want to check the Advanced Properties at the bottom the Object Info Palette of the viewport. Since you are scaling DOWN you viewport, all of the line weights will be 4 times thinner. Set the Line Weight Scale and/or the other scale factors to something like 4 to make the lines heavier. You may need to try a few times to get an output you like.

Thanks. Works like a charm.

Ed