Title Block double click function

Right Click on the Title Block and Choose Edit. This should open a dialog box with an option to edit either the Settings or the Title Block Layout. Below that is a pull down that sets what happens when you double click.

It sounds like you want to have it set to Open Settings Dialog or Displays this Dialog instead of Edits Title Block Layout.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Catie,

If you have selected any of the options in the popup, different from 'Display this dialog', this option will be saved in your user folder and will be automatically chosen every time you double click on Title Block Border. You could delete your Vectorworks user folder or just the file SavedSettingsUser.xml from there and you will be able to see the dialog and the popup again.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 3 months later...

Right clicking the Title Block Border and selecting Edit from there does not open the dialog in 2018. It goes to whatever setting you have chosen, same as if you were to double click the border. You could trash HD/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/20xx/Setings/SavedSettingsUser.xml (or the Windows equivalent) if you want to start from scratch, but if you to get more surgical you can open SavedSettingsUser.xml with a text editor and search for <TitleBlockBorderDB>. Between the <EditDialog> tags is the command to set that preference. The option are (exact entry required, of course) DisplaysThisDialog, OpensSettingsDialog or EditsTBLayout. Examples:

<TitleBlockBorderDB>
    <EditDialog>DisplaysThisDialog</EditDialog>
  </TitleBlockBorderDB>

<TitleBlockBorderDB>
    <EditDialog>OpensSettingsDialog</EditDialog>
  </TitleBlockBorderDB>

<TitleBlockBorderDB>
    <EditDialog>EditsTBLayout</EditDialog>
  </TitleBlockBorderDB>

The results should be self-explanatory as it is fairly plain English. Make your adjustments with VW closed, save your changes to the XML file, and open VW. You should be satisfied.

Edited by Seth Thomas
On 1/30/2018 at 3:28 PM, Seth Thomas said:

Right clicking the Title Block Border and selecting Edit from there does not open the dialog in 2018. It goes to whatever setting you have chosen, same as if you were to double click the border.

Same behavior here. I have to assume this is a bug, as it's inconsistent with how all other similar tools work in Vectorworks. Although the manual fix above worked, you should be able to right click and choose "Edit" to always bring back the popup.

@JimW

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Mine is offering me the choice here, however this dialog offers an always-do action:

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 9.28.11 AM.png

I was able to set this behavior to Opens Settings Dialog, then confirm that Edit took me directly to the Settings and didnt offer a choice, then Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session > Reset Saved Settings with both boxes checked brought back the choice for me.

20 minutes ago, JimW said:

Mine is offering me the choice here, however this dialog offers an always-do action:

I was able to set this behavior to Opens Settings Dialog, then confirm that Edit took me directly to the Settings and didnt offer a choice, then Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session > Reset Saved Settings with both boxes checked brought back the choice for me.

Then I wonder why it's different than (for example) the Edit Viewport pop-up which includes a very similar dropdown list (where you choose if double clicking always edits Annotations, Crop, Displays this Dialog, etc). For example, you can set it to Annotations so that double clicking always takes you to Annotations, but then later you can right click a Viewport and choose "Edit" to once again see the pop-up with all of the options, and perhaps change what double-clicking does.

This seems completely different than the "Always do" checkboxes that you can reset with "Reset Saved Settings" as you've mentioned.

So I still wonder whether it's a bug, or whether the new Title Block Border pop-up was programmed inconsistently with how one would expect it to be programmed, based on how other things work in Vectorworks.

Right-clicking a Title Block Border and choosing "Edit" should always bring back the pop-up.

I saw a discussion about this preference in another thread and I did the same as Andy, I right clicked and chose edit only to find it didn't work like the Viewport settings.

48 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

So I still wonder whether it's a bug, or whether the new Title Block Border pop-up was programmed inconsistently with how one would expect it to be programmed, based on how other things work in Vectorworks.

I would consider it a poor choice myself. All these inconsistencies make VW very hard to learn and even as a seasoned user I sometimes have to hunt for things because they work differently from everything else. Consistency in an interface is essential. Isn't there an interface "style guide" or "bible" for new VW features to follow?

If the Title Block Border object and the way it was implemented represents the future I'm not sure I want it. Sorry to be so blunt.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Whether it's a bug or an inconsistency or whatever, it's a running theme with VW. With VW, I expect an upgrade to bring with it a bunch of broken functionality for things that worked fine before. It's the only major software I use where I assume that a release will not be stable until the 3rd or 4th update. I like where they're going with Title Block generally, but there is a ton of room for improvement. And it's mostly simple, obvious things that should never have been overlooked, like direct text entry into fields. Thanks for making it take ten clicks to do what used to take two Vectorworks. Very frustrating. Anyway…

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Yeah, we considered that (I was solving this problem for a workmate), but that would be along the lines of trashing the SavedSettingsUser.xml file completely, and we wanted to preserve all the other custom settings and just reset that one behavior. Interesting that that worked for you though, Jim, and not us. It was the first thing we tried, as I expected it to work as before. Still, I never mind digging around in the code a little to solve a problem. It brings one a little closer to Understanding. At the same time, I wish it would just work as it should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 7:35 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

Consistency in an interface is essential.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:38 AM, Seth Thomas said:

At the same time, I wish it would just work as it should.

🙌 🙌 🙌

I just want to reiterate that the current "always-do" implementation for title block borders is decidedly wrong and inconsistent with other VW tools. I've had three unrelated acquaintances call me in the last few weeks asking what's wrong with their title blocks' double-click function. (They had inadvertently chosen to always edit the Layout, but because the layouts are all By Style, every time they double click a title block they just get an error saying they can't edit the instance's layout.)

@JimW @Nikolay Zhelyazkov Any way of confirming whether this is a bug or working "as designed"?

Right-clicking and choosing "Edit" needs to bring the pop-up back, just like it does for Viewports.