Creating a Surface with a Thickness

jjwatters

Hello, 

We are still having difficulty getting our 3D Vectorworks into the Architect’s Revit Model. I have modeled our proposed topography using lots of locus that I have then joined up to create a series of polysurfaces.

Revit doesn’t like this as it needs a 3D mass rather than surfaces. Extruding the surfaces doesn’t work as they are twisted/facing in different directions (see attached). Do you know how we can create a solid 3D mass out of these surfaces? 

I have tried converting to nurbs, duplicating them and lofting between but this dosent work either. 

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks, 

JJ

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 17.10.18.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What happened when you converted to NURBS? Did that work successfully (before the lofting)? If so, I would try this:

Convert your mesh to NURBS. This will give you NURBS curves.

In the 3D Powerpack menu, select your curves and choose "Create Surface from Curves". (you may have to do this in several sections to get everything). 

Now try shelling from the NURBS surfaces. 

Let me know if this works..

Hi everyone, 

thanks for your help so far. I am pretty sure all the end points are snapped together. Some of the shapes are quite simple. The only thing I can think of is that the edges vary in height as they were drawn along a series of 3D locus at spot heights, I am not sure if this will prevent it being turned into a surface. I have attached a sample file, I just need all the surfaces to have a thickness of at least 1500mm, they can be flat on the bottom or follow the surface - what ever is easiest. 

Thanks again. 

JJ

JJ Watters 3D Surface Help.vwx

Sorry I’m on road without vwx for next few days. Hopefully others will work this before. But here’s an idea and some comments:

• Your first image shows what looks like 3d poly surfaces.
  • Work with a copy in new file
  • Polys should convert directly to NURBS surfaces or first Mesh then NURBS surfaces via Modify>Convert.
  • don’t try to work the following with NURBS Curves. Surfaces required.
  • Conversion should produce  a group, or several groups of NURBS Surfaces.
  • Ungroup and select the surfaces, then shell, in batches if necessary.
  • result will have some voids where shells created in different directions (always perpendicular/normal to source)
  • fill voids with extrudes, lofts, meshes, anything easy and solid.
  • select all and Add Solid. May have to work in batches .

There are other ways, maybe better result . Need to test when vwx available.

keep posting until success

-B

• Like 1

@jjwatters

Sorry this took so long. Finally got a look at your file.

Couple more comments and process:

• Your data is too far from internal origin.  Many processes don't work well.  I grouped everything and moved group to 0,0 via OIP.  This does not affect any of the z values. See image below.
  • The data has snap and location problems, so needs clean up.  I noted a few places, in one image, but then found more.  Check it closely.
  • 3d polys are kind of a hard row to hoe. You might consider starting over with a vectorworks site model and modifiers.
  • I found an OK way to make solids with same top surface config as your 3d polys via Section Solids command. Basically make an extrude with same footprint as a batch of 3d polys (Add Solid), then use the solid addition as a sectioning surface. Unfortunately, 3d polys do not make good sectioning surfaces, so the Solid Addition seemed necessary.  A few I had to convert the Solid Addition to Generic Solid. Tried to make the whole collection into one big sectioning object in one big extrude, but couldn't get it to work. Have to do it in batches.

OK, Post back if unclear.  Maybe others have an easier way to make solids from these 3d polys.

-B

Initial Corrections.png

AddSolids.png

5 steps.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 10/25/2017 at 9:37 AM, Robert Anderson said:

What happened when you converted to NURBS? Did that work successfully (before the lofting)? If so, I would try this:

Convert your mesh to NURBS. This will give you NURBS curves.

In the 3D Powerpack menu, select your curves and choose "Create Surface from Curves". (you may have to do this in several sections to get everything). 

Now try shelling from the NURBS surfaces. 

Let me know if this works..

Worked for me, thanks!