placing a 3d steel beam in plan view

mattryan

19 minutes ago, mattryan said:

Thanks, theres no way to just draw a line between the two columns?

The new Structural Member tool in the Building Shell toolset works like this (as opposed to the Wide Flange - 3D tool in the Detailing toolset). In fact, even better, it has modes so you can choose beam or column placement.

Edited by Christiaan
12 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

The new Structural Member tool in the Building Shell toolset works like this (as opposed to the Wide Flange - 3D tool in the Detailing toolset). In fact, even better, it has modes so you can choose beam or column placement.

Unfortunately you need to have VW architecture to have this, which the original poster does probably have depending on VW version. As  a VW Landmark user this is one of the two Architect tools I would like to see being brought over (the other one being the stair tool which is better in Architect than in Landmark.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

Great thanks Christiaan! thats what i was looking for

41 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

Ha ha. Now I've heard it all. :)

And we (Architect/Designer) moan about it. We should be grateful.

Unless things changed in VW2018 I've always had the impression (and confirmed by local tech support on two occasions in the past) that the "regular"/default stair tool in Architect has more functionality than the Landmark version. The custom stair tool which is now considered obsolete was more or less the same.

I just wish that the stair tool could be told to start at elevation A, end at elevation B and have X platforms (absolute or at every Y stairs) and then calculate the stair to be inserted. Ideally I could provide multiple elevations at which a platform should meet a specified level of a structure.  Unlike most buildings which use constant floor heights I deal with structures that have varying heights between levels. Creating stairs for that with the stair tool in Landmark is not really a pleasure to put it mildly.

The structural member tool would be really useful for such structures as well to set out the vertical columns and horizontal beams.

• Like 1