Class order with keyboard shortcut

michaelk

Question

I'm almost positive that this bug existed in previous versions:

I'm using v2018 on a Mac.  MacOS 10.12.6

When using Command-Right Arrow and Command-Left Arrow to change the active class the order of class change is not the order in the Navigation Palette.

For example if the classes are 

MyClass-1

MyClass-2

MyClass-3

MyClass-4

MyClass-5

MyClass-6

MyClass-7

MyClass-8

MyClass-9

MyClass-10

MyClass-11

MyClass-12

MyClass-13

MyClass-14

MyClass-15

MyClass-16

MyClass-17

And the active class is MyClass-1.  Command-Right Arrow does not go to MyClass-2.  The order is alphabetical.

i.e.  MyClass-1, MyClass-10, MyClass-11, MyClass-12, MyClass-13, MyClass-14, MyClass-15, MyClass-16, MyClass-17, MyClass-2, MyClass-3, MyClass-4, MyClass-5, MyClass-6, MyClass-7, MyClass-8, MyClass-9

I'd like the order of active class changes using the keyboard shortcut to follow the same order as the class list in the Nav Palette.

8 answers to this question

I've definitely encountered this bug in 2016 and 2017. Thank you for posting about it.

For theatre shows with multiple scenes or moving set pieces, I might have classes named "SET-Scene 1", "SET-Scene 2", etc. with one class for each layout on stage.

To go through the show step by step I set all the "Scene" classes to invisible, make Scene 1 the Active Class, then use Shift+arrows to go down the list of Active Classes (therefore making them visible one at a time without using the Navigation Palette constantly).

But once there are more than 9 scenes this bug arises and it messes everything up. :(

7 hours ago, michaelk said:

I'm almost positive that this bug existed in previous versions:

I'm using v2018 on a Mac.  MacOS 10.12.6

When using Command-Right Arrow and Command-Left Arrow to change the active class the order of class change is not the order in the Navigation Palette.

[...]

And the active class is MyClass-1.  Command-Right Arrow does not go to MyClass-2.  The order is alphabetical.

i.e.  MyClass-1, MyClass-10, MyClass-11, MyClass-12, MyClass-13, MyClass-14, MyClass-15, MyClass-16, MyClass-17, MyClass-2, MyClass-3, MyClass-4, MyClass-5, MyClass-6, MyClass-7, MyClass-8, MyClass-9

I'd like the order of active class changes using the keyboard shortcut to follow the same order as the class list in the Nav Palette.

What if you use a preceding 0 (zero), or multiple zero's depending on number of digits?

I've made it a habit of using additional 0's for exactly this reason when I expect the numbering to go into double or more digits as it happens with other software as wel (e.g. layer 1, layer 10, 11 etc. and then layer 2) unless you add preceding 0's.

1 hour ago, michaelk said:

Yeah.  That's the workaround.  But I can't imagine that it is currently working as intended.

It works for me, I have classes with 1 up to 3 zero padding in front of the numbers they they are showing as 01...09,10, 11...20,21 etc. and using the cursor in and out starts with the first number in numerical order.

Though I do agree that VW should recognize numerical parts in class names where the number is at the end (or start) and sort in numerical order in a proper way. It looks like numbers are simply treated as text at the moment.

5 hours ago, michaelk said:

Except in the Navigation Palette.  It works correctly there.

I just tested with a document after removing the padding zero's and you are right, in the menu bar it does not work well.

That being said, the issue can be the same in other software so I basically always use padding with zero's when it looks like I may be having double or more digit numbers so I didn't really run into this issue until you mentioned and I tried.

On 10/25/2017 at 1:20 AM, Art V said:

I just tested with a document after removing the padding zero's and you are right, in the menu bar it does not work well.

That being said, the issue can be the same in other software so I basically always use padding with zero's when it looks like I may be having double or more digit numbers so I didn't really run into this issue until you mentioned and I tried.

I do exactly the same thing for the same reason with pretty much anything I do on a computer; not just in VW.