HELP ! Symbol replace & resource previews

Symbol replace is unacceptably slow to open the dialogue (30+ seconds), then the replace symbol preview pane takes even more time to open. I need to fix this urgently.

I switched off preview pane in resource browser, but migrating files from 2015 adds many MBs filesize - i think this is due entirely to resource preview thumbnails. Can it be turned off? The preview are unecessary since the resource ikons provide a preview.

Yes previews can be a the cause of a major slowdown in software, this is not unique for Vectorworks as I notice that with other CAD and graphics/dtp software too for large/complex files or having lots of symbols.

30+ seconds to open a dialog is simply too much time for any workflow if you regularly need to use such tool.  How many symbols are you having in such a drawing where you experience this?

oh dear ! Now the linetype preview in attributes palette is reduced to an agonising crawl. what' gone wrong guys? I can workaround the symbol replace problem by using the 'replace with symbol' command instead. Why should that dialogue open instantaneously, whereas the symbol 'replace' from the info palette take nearly 45 seconds ??

Now I have to find a workaround to linetype attribute as well ? I can always 'locate linetype in resource browser' instead but you have a problem here. There clearly are a number of bugs that I am on the brink of reverting to VW2015, because I need to get some work done. I can't spend more time (already 2 days) exploring VW2018 only to find that critical everyday tools have become intolerably slow.

OS 10.10.5, 2.6 Ghz Intel i7, Ram 8GBs

On 21.10.2017 at 9:21 AM, VictorWax said:

This whole resource preview obsession is a nightmare that needs fixing fast.

YES, same problems here,- in VW 17  I was used to first drag an drop symbols from the resource browser to the current file and afterwards replaced some objects with the new symbol definition. Although this was one step more to do, this method was faster than the waiting time I have using the OIP Replace button in VW 18. Even If I switch off all preview and resources exept the current file the replacement takes much longer than in VW 17.

Using the "replace with symbol" command instead is not a solution, since this works only with Top/Plan View.

I hope this will be fixed fast, since this is not only a nightmare, it's a  cost intensive time killer ! Waiting for this to be fixed in VW 19 or later is definitely unacceptable.

Edited by halfcouple
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't the only agonisingly slow dialogue to open.  If I edit attributes of a class the window can take 20+ seconds to populate, this is the case for anything which involves loading previews of content from the resource manager.

This ends up adding what seems like hours to workflow which should be a simple click through

Problem entirely solved by removing migrated favourite files from the application support folder. Essentally, when favourite files from your upgraded version are migrated for the purpose of resource previews, they are not actually converted to the new file format. That can be proved by reviewing any instance where they are referenced - VW2018 says they are still in the old version format. Once old format favourites are removed VW2018 flies. Flaming brilliant - thanks and credit to the tech team for all the fantastic enhancements.

Minor gripes - I find having to uncheck cropped perspective every time a slight bore. Ditto docking of window. So I put 'close file' as a right click in my document options. On resource browser option to close preview pane works but the option remains ticked - curious?

Yes, you are right,  -almost-  ;)

I converted my favourite files to VW18 before, but had a remaining directory "favouritesOLD" with the 2017 versions in my favourites directory. After deleting them the replacement procedure speeds up. Anyway, some of my library files have 500 MB or more, so the replacement is still slower than in VW 17.

• 4 months later...
On 23/10/2017 at 10:32 AM, halfcouple said:

I hope this will be fixed fast, since this is not only a nightmare, it's a  cost intensive time killer ! Waiting for this to be fixed in VW 19 or later is definitely unacceptable.

I agree. A full multi-core processing could be a characteristic of the past, not a hope for the future. Just now is too late for a complete implementation. Try to use a windows style, a door style, to change a height from design layer to a wall style. Every click is 30 second. I hope really that engineers do miracles to fix this VW aspect. I think it could be the better impementation to the last 5-6 years. This one, a new wall and new stairs. Stop.

• Like 1