Purge - Purge all layers/classes not used in Sheet Layers

Kevin McAllister

Question

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you think this would be most useful rolled into the current Tools > Purge, or do you think it's common enough (I have had many users say they wanted to send out limited versions) that it would merit adding a "Purge" options section to the Publish command itself so that it didnt need to be undone after or done from a saved copy of the original file?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JimW said:

Do you think this would be most useful rolled into the current Tools > Purge, or do you think it's common enough (I have had many users say they wanted to send out limited versions) that it would merit adding a "Purge" options section to the Publish command itself so that it didnt need to be undone after or done from a saved copy of the original file?

Oh yes please, a purge option to publish command and an option for automatic cropping for images to the crop boundary for export only to e.g. PDF or the exported VW document  (i.e. not cropping in the Vectorworks document) would be a timesaver.

Especially with large(r) images I need to go into the PDF authoring software and use the reduce file size option to crop images to the boundaries as in the PDF as Vectorworks still exports the whole image even if only a part is shown. I cannot crop the image in Vectorworks as I do need the entire image to remain in the original VW document.

Edited by Art V
12 hours ago, JimW said:

do you think it's common enough (I have had many users say they wanted to send out limited versions) that it would merit adding a "Purge" options section to the Publish command itself so that it didnt need to be undone after or done from a saved copy of the original file?

This is an interesting idea. I often find I need to send a single sheet as a VW file to a contractor or shop. I tend to put everything for a project into one file, so there can be a lot of design layers where I've done layout work or that contain old ideas. Its these layers I usually remove when exporting a VW file for someone.

Kevin

7 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I tend to put everything for a project into one file, so there can be a lot of design layers where I've done layout work or that contain old ideas. Its these layers I usually remove when exporting a VW file for someone.

This is what I do as well, with the exception of e.g. very large DWG files for which it is better to reference them from a separate VW file. The proposed purge option would make it easier to export a file from a sheet layer.

Now that I mention the referenced files, there should preferably also be an option to "bind" or collect referenced files upon export/publish to a new file  into the same format as the main file being exported. (e.g. to when exporting a VW2018 file to a VW 2017 file it should also convert and either bind the files to the main file (i.e. include them into the drawing) or collect the referenced files and save them as VW2017 files together with the main file.)