Text causes 2018 SP1 to crash

EMfab

Question

Just installed SP1 a couple days ago, with no problems until I attempted to add text into a drawing. It immediately crashed the program, no error codes shown. Closes out before I'm even able to make a screen shot. I tried other files in case the current one had somehow been corrupted, but the same thing occurs. Running Windows 7 professional, if it matters. Suggestions? 

19 answers to this question

2018 service pack 1, Designer. It happened on a new file first, which had been saved beforehand, then did the same thing on an older file which was converted to 2018 from being created in VW2017. Also noticing the Vectorworks program itself "not responding" while open and running fairly often. Thank you for any help you can provide! 

It crashes on any file I open and try to add text to, new or old. I just uninstalled vw2018 and am re-downloading everything to reinstall that as well as the service pack. Once that's done I'll give it another shot, and if it still misbehaves, I'll attach some files. Sorry about the timing here, just looking to get things going as soon as I can. 

After reinstalling VW2018 without the first service pack, everything seemed to work fine. With the service pack installed it crashes when attempting to use the text tool. The simple file included to send a coworker a visual on a production method was where the problem first occurred. The same thing happens with any file I've opened and tried the text tool with. Will probably uninstall and run without service pack for now, unless someone can come up with an alternate solution? 

ark door hinge.vwx

Hello,

So have del the user folder and restarted Vectorworks and the freezing still happens. 

Vectorworks doesn't seem to crash as such but goes extremely slow and have the rainbow spinning wheel of death when in Vectorworks (laptop still runs fine) Once you have typed something it takes roughly between 30/60 sec per character typed and then once it has completed what you have typed it continues to lag and be unresponsive but doesn't crash to the point that Vectorworks closes. 

Have sat waiting for about 5min for it to stop lagging and still nothing so forced to use force quit to get out of the program. Once done that have gone back to the user folder but there is no error log as I'm guessing since I used force quit to exit it never made a log. reload Vectorworks and it runs fine until trying to put text in and then it all just repeats its self. 

Thanks 

Jonny

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 10/23/2017 at 8:44 AM, EMfab said:

2018 service pack 1, Designer. It happened on a new file first, which had been saved beforehand, then did the same thing on an older file which was converted to 2018 from being created in VW2017. Also noticing the Vectorworks program itself "not responding" while open and running fairly often. Thank you for any help you can provide! 

Is there a reason you are using 2018 SP1 and not the latest sp5? 

On 10/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, JonnyC said:

The same this is happening to me. I'm running Mac OS 10.14. 

What version and SP of Vectorworks are you using?

Wow, old thread. I only remember having the problem when SP1 was installed, and I'm not certain if I installed the later service packs(thought it might have had to do with my old computer, may it RIP...) . I reistalled the original VW2018 at the time, which worked fine until I updated to the 2019 version. So far, no troubles, but I've not spent much time on it since I'm starting into Z-brush and Fusion 360. I'm still using Vectorworks because it's easier/faster for me at the moment, but usage depends on assigned projects which haven't required much lately. No troubles updating or opening older files in the 2019 version.