Update all viewports on selected sheet

Bertf

Question

I think it would be nice to have a menu command that updates all the viewports on the selected sheet layer. Now we can only update all viewports (of the file), or update the selected viewports.

When we update all viewports of the file, we need to wait longer. Specially when you have a lot of interiorcad cabinets in your drawings.

And when we update selected viewports, we first have to select them all.

Thank you,

Bert

• Like 3

20 answers to this question

That would be a welcomed command.

In the meantime, I use the Select Similar tool (the magic wand, as I call it, with hotkey "W" in my custom workspace), for which I have a preset to select all of the same "Object Type". So I click on one Viewport, which selects all the Viewports on that sheet, then I use the "Update Selected Viewports" command.

• Like 1

Got my vote too, this is exactly one of those usability things quite a few of us prefer to get fixed/updated before introducing another batch of shiny new things.

Would it be possible to have a page with a list of tools/functionality to be fixed, possibly with the kind of fix mentioned, where people can vote which e.g. 10 of them they would really like to see fixed and the top 10 or 20 of the votes will actually get fixed with the next VW version?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, Art V said:

Would it be possible to have a page with a list of tools/functionality to be fixed, possibly with the kind of fix mentioned

I have proposed something similar, but it has not yet been approved since there are many, many considerations that need to go into something like this, both technological and "political".

5 minutes ago, Art V said:

where people can vote which e.g. 10 of them they would really like to see fixed and the top 10 or 20 of the votes will actually get fixed with the next VW version?

This is less likely to happen, since the wishlist encourages all wishes of any magnitude and isn't constrained to what is possible in a given timeframe. 

Yes, this would be handy. Meanwhile there is this script from @Pat Stanfordthat will update all viewports on a sheet:

Procedure UpdateSheetLayerVPs;
{Selects, Updates and Deselects each viewport on a sheet layer}
{Revised to handle both sheet layer and section viewports}
{? 2008, Coviana, Inc - Pat Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}
Begin
DSelectAll;
SelectObj((ST=REGVIEWPORT) or (ST=SECTVIEWPORT));
While FSActLayer<>Nil do
Begin
UpdateVP(FSActLayer);
SetDSelect(FSActLayer);
End;
End;
Run(UpdateSheetLayerVPs);

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, JimW said:

This is less likely to happen, since the wishlist encourages all wishes of any magnitude and isn't constrained to what is possible in a given timeframe. 

Yes the wish list is one way to express what one would like to see fixed, but as mentioned by someone in another topic such items tend to all off the table after a while as either people forget about it or it moves to page 30 of the wish list. Having a vote page for such items would prevent that to happen and would also be an easier way to see how much demand there is for a particular tool to be fixed and hopefully put some pressure on that getting done. And when fixed it could be shown on that list.  I do realize there are some technical and "political" things to consider, but seeing wishes get repeated after a while by new people isn't always pleasant reading either.

It could also save you some (or a lot) of the effort to keep track of such items.

1 minute ago, Art V said:

but seeing wishes get repeated after a while by new people isn't always pleasant reading either.

It could also save you some (or a lot) of the effort to keep track of such items.

On that I couldn't agree with you more. Im fully on that team, just need to make the proper case, get approvals and get the needed systems in place.

9 minutes ago, JimW said:

just need to make the proper case

Would it help if VW users would show up in front of management with pitchforks, tar and feathers to support your request/case? :P

Joking aside, I really do appreciate your efforts in trying to keep track of wish list items and combining them where possible and things do get fixed/improved over time even if I only accidentally find out it got fixed/improved (those lists of fixed items are sometime really a bit long to wade through so some fixes do get overlooked at times)

Edited by Art V
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

This thread is in "wishes granted / issues resolved" but I can't see any way of doing what the wish is for - update all vports on a sheet.

Or is this possible in 2019?

Not sure, as far as I know this hasn't been added and I double checked to make sure it wasn't something I'd already missed. Merged this thread with another request for it and popped it into the proper category. I'll see if any of the other admins/mods moved it. (or I might just have fists of ham.)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Bertf said:

Ctrl + Shift + U: update selected viewports (don't know if this is a custom key binding)

Shortcut doesn't work for me - however the 'update selected viewports' command in the View menu does. I'd assumed not possible if you have other object types selected (because the 'update' button doesn't appear in the OIP if you do a select-all which picks up non viewport objects)

Script to update all VP's on a sheet. I use it all the time. Credit to @Pat Stanford

Procedure UpdateSheetLayerVPs;
{Selects, Updates and Deselects each viewport on a sheet layer}
{Revised to handle both sheet layer and section viewports}
{? 2008, Coviana, Inc - Pat Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}
Begin
DSelectAll;
SelectObj((ST=REGVIEWPORT) or (ST=SECTVIEWPORT));
While FSActLayer<>Nil do
Begin
UpdateVP(FSActLayer);
SetDSelect(FSActLayer);