Window in wall Z height is defaulting to bottom of wall rather than its set Z height

kob

I'm not sure what has changed with 2018, or if maybe there is a setting that I have changed.  Previously I would insert a window with a Z height of 0 into a wall, and the Z height would remain 0, regardless of where the bottom of the wall was in relation to the Story.  Now, the window object is changing the Z height to be the bottom of the wall.  Since the bottom of my exterior walls are usually set to a Story Level called 'Bottom of Slab' which changes depending on the slab thickness, the windows now show a Z height of -9" or -11" or -13.5", or whatever.  Even if I go back into the Object Info Pallette and change the Z back to 0, If I duplicate that window and insert it into another location, the Z height of the new window will automatically adopt a Z height equal to the bottom of whatever wall it gets inserted into.  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this a bug?

Oh, I also noticed Z shifts when adding Doors to Walls. (But I think mine were really off geometrically)

Thought this is a Bug in VW 2017.

It may be a WAD instead. But that is very irritating.

Architects think their Window heights or parapets heights from finish floor.

Thanks zoomer

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one noticing this.

I should maybe clarify.  This was working all the way up to 2017, but is just now becoming an issue with 2018.

I do, in fact, specify window heights relative to finished floor.  I use the Elevation field on the OIP (below Width and Height) to specify Sill Height Above Finished Floor, and this value gets reported to a window schedule.  But the Height field at the top of the OIP is usually 0".  (It's sometimes something like -36" when the window is at a stair landing.  This way, my window schedule reports Sill Height in relation to the Landing Height and not the Finished Floor of the Story.).

My Stories usually have two Level Types:  Top of Slab = 0". Bottom of Slab = -4 or -9 or -11 etc.  My Exterior walls have a Bottom Bound = Bottom of Slab and a Top Bound = Bottom of Slab, Story Above.  My interior walls have a Bottom Bound = Top of Slab and a Top Bound = Bottom of Slab, Story Above.

When I take a window with a Z height of 0" and insert it into a wall, I want it to keep the Z height of 0" and not automatically change it to whatever my Bottom Bound is set to.

Perhaps my approach to the software is different from most other people?  I'd love to know if this was something that was consciously "fixed" or if it's just a bug.  Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Here's a screenshot.  This is a Basement Window.  The Slab here is 4" thick, so my Story is set up to have a Bottom of Slab = -4", and a Top of Slab = 0". The window has a sill height of 5'-3", but a Z height of 0".  If I duplicate this window and drag it to another wall, the Z height will automatically change to -4", and I will have to remember to go change it back to 0".

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 2.26.41 PM.png

• 1 month later...