Annotate multiple viewports

@Allen BrownAnnotations are intended to be viewport specific. If you want something to show up in multiple viewports put them on a Design Layer and turn that layer on in the viewport.

@Art V You can draw anything you want on the sheet layer, but it will be at a 1:1 scale. When you work in annotations it is at the scale of the viewport. So if you just want some extra notes, you can certainly put the text directly on the sheet layer, but if you move or resale the viewport you will also have to adjust the stuff on the sheet layer. If it is in the annotations and you move the viewport, the notes will move with the viewport.

@Pat StanfordYes I am aware of the limitations of not putting the annotation in the viewport, but sometimes I need to have two overlapping viewports and annotate different parts of each viewport without it becoming a mess because of the overlap. Then I simply put the annotation on the sheet layer.

My impression was that this was more or less the situation of the original poster, hence the suggestion to put it on the sheet layer. Otherwise the annotation on a design layer approach is an easier solution to have the same annotation show up in multiple viewports as you suggested.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Art V said:

My impression was that this was more or less the situation of the original poster, hence the suggestion to put it on the sheet layer. Otherwise the annotation on a design layer approach is an easier solution to have the same annotation show up in multiple viewports as you suggested.

Amazing how a simple post can be read differently. It appears you had the better read. I read it more like "why don't the dimensions I put in viewport 1 annotation also show in viewport 2"

Good work. All good information.

Now I have another issue which I posted in another thread. So I've created a composite model on a separate design layer and am able to change the visibilities separately by class for each viewport. However, in 3D I can't vary the wall textures by class for each viewport. All walls are set with textures by class for both the wall and the component but each viewport shows the document texture class setting. The only way to vary the texture by class seems to be to place the viewports separately on a SHEET layer which then gets back to the original issues since I can't annotate the composite. Argh! Any solutions?