PLANT DATABASE

dennisp

Simpler programs that I have used will allow the user to modify a plant listing to create a new plant. For instance, I work with more than 20 junipers, some that are not very different but available at the time. If I want to enter a new plant in Vector's database I have to start from scratch when all I really need to do is change two fields to make a modification. (Not to mention that the database does not save new entries consistently. I understand that this is being worked on.)

Also, I should predicate my queries by telling you that I am not as computer savvy as what I read in this forum. I would like to use this program in production of my designs but my inability to understand this program is frustrating.

If I remember correctly, in 9 I was able to double-click on a symbol and attach a different plant record or definition to it in a drawing. Changing plant definations quickly would be a great feature. Typically I use between 20 - 30 different plants in my designs. The ability to interchange quickly between similiar plant symbols would be a plus.

Thanks for the reply. I have used the plant catalogue, however if I am using symbols brought in from an older 9 file I get the error "You must delete the existing plant record". This is confusing. After deleting the plant record, my symbols are "meaningless" or without a definition. Consequently my ID Tool is useless. The ID Tool does work with the original file, even though these symbols are not in the plant catalogue.??

Also, on a different topic - and I am somewhat embarassed to ask this - any directions on tracing a bitmap? After importing the bmp and choosing the Trace Bitmap command, nothing happens. I must be using this wrong. I am scanning in the plat plan of the property that I am working on, but then I am tracing it with the polyline tool. ??

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Take a look at the VWL Migration utility on the NNA website at VWL Downloads . This will help with the record issue, by updating to the new format.

Plant IDs in VectorWorks 10 are built-in to the Plant Objects, so all you have to do is decide what information you want to display in your ID (this is part of the Plant Definition also), then use the Show or Hide Plant IDs command to turn them all on or all off in your drawing.

I believe bitmaps to be traceable must be black and white. Are yours?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For right now, the easiest way to make duplicate entries is with the VWL Plant Database Utility. You can duplicate entries there, make minor changes, then create the export file that VWL uses. You are correct that the next maintenance release (which is very soon) will fix the minor editing problems in the database command in VWL.

Generally, you should create an entry in your "Plant Catalog" for any plant that you use in your designs. This entry is called a "Plant Definition". This definition includes plant data (from the database), the 2D and 3D look of the plant (from symbols), size and (if you so define) pricing and SKU information. Depending on your familiarity with the VWL system, it should take a minute or two do define a plant. Once you've created the plant definition, it resides in your document in the "Plant Catalog" which is a symbol folder and you can place it with the plant tool. You can use the Resource Browser to import "Plant Catalogs" from one document to another.

The strength of plant objects vs. symbols is in their flexibility of appearance. Plant objects can have any fill attribute (none, solid fill, pattern, hatch, or image), any color, and can even be "styled" on an object-by-object basis. This "styling" can apply shadows to plants and even make them look hand-drawn.