2D Polygon from 3D Sketch-Up Import

No quick solution to this. As an example, I took this fairly simple chair, and did as follows: 

1/  Original (left) (Symbol to Group if it's a symbol) -> Convert to Group -> Convert to Polygons with Hidden lines on. Generates many polygons. 

2/ Original (left) (Symbol to Group if it's a symbol) -> Convert to Group> Convert to Polygons with Hidden lines on-> Add Surface. Probably took longer than it took to model the chair in 3D.

3/ Original (left) (Symbol to Group if it's a symbol) -> Convert to Group -> Convert to Lines-> Ungroup-> Remove all inner lines-> Assemble using Compose or Combine into Surface. Takes a while but probably the best result. 

4/ Simply trace the model manually. Depressing but it works, though it is slow (probably more than the five or six minutes it took me to model the 3D original. 

KitchenChair.jpg

• Like 1

Ok - Played with this a bit more - and it seems quite effective.

Initially there is a bunch of processing time to create the Hybrid Object - but once created, it reacts well.

Enclosed is my new 2d Model + the settings I used to reduce the number of faces.

I was able to convert to a Hybrid Symbol as well !

Thank you!
Ethan

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 1.16.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 1.16.31 PM.png

On 10/20/2017 at 3:21 AM, Claes Lundstrom said:

2/ Original (left) (Symbol to Group if it's a symbol) -> Convert to Group> Convert to Polygons with Hidden lines on-> Add Surface. Probably took longer than it took to model the chair in 3D.

Claes,

When using Add Surface, I have found that limiting the selection to 200-400 objects is optimal for throughput. There appears to be an exponential slowdown based on the selection count. Waiting for 1000+ objects to ADD is intolerable for me, so I select small groups and Add Surface repeatedly. When done, I select the whole object and Add Surface again, but this is invariably a significantly reduced object count. If the resulting reduced object has over 1000 pieces, I'll carefully select contiguous pieces and add those.

Using this approach I can be done with a 30k object count in under 5 minutes where VW night easily take 30 minutes to a few hours to complete in one pass.

Raymond

• Like 1
19 hours ago, MullinRJ said:

Claes,

When using Add Surface, I have found that limiting the selection to 200-400 objects is optimal for throughput. There appears to be an exponential slowdown based on the selection count. Waiting for 1000+ objects to ADD is intolerable for me, so I select small groups and Add Surface repeatedly. When done, I select the whole object and Add Surface again, but this is invariably a significantly reduced object count. If the resulting reduced object has over 1000 pieces, I'll carefully select contiguous pieces and add those.

Using this approach I can be done with a 30k object count in under 5 minutes where VW night easily take 30 minutes to a few hours to complete in one pass.

Raymond

Yes, I totally agree that using thousands of polygons does not work. Ideally, it would be great to have a special display mode only showing outlines, like in OpenGL but without the shadings. I use the Add Surface, Combine into Surface, Compose features a lot as I often import models looking like this. Luckily for me though, the exporting program has an option to just export the outlines, where each panel comes in as a group. The only thing I need to do is therefore to ungroup and Compose the object and job done. Takes a minute or two of minutes to do the job. So, on the wish list in VW would be to have such a feature. 

KitchenChair.jpg

5 hours ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

Luckily for me though, the exporting program has an option to just export the outlines, where each panel comes in as a group. 

Hi Claes,

Which program are you using that has this option?  Is it sketch-up ?

TY

Ethan 

Edited by Ethan R.
On 2017-10-22 at 5:57 PM, Ethan R. said:

Hi Claes,

Which program are you using that has this option?  Is it sketch-up ?

TY

Ethan 

No it's not SketchUp (have it installed somewhere but never use it as it never adds anything to my work).

Besides that, my point is that it would be nice if VW could make use of the algorithms found in OpenGL for extracting edges. As an example, I imported this  3D polygon based model in the pictures into VW. All rendered in OpenGL only. No edges to the left. With edges in the middle. All colors set to white and increased the light a little to the right, and there we have a nice outline drawing at almost no effort. Imagine that we could compose those lines into plain filled polygons. 

OpenGL outlines.jpg