Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette detail drawing title

Le Pham

I am trying to make a standard frame for our details that can change in width and height and still stay within the grid (1 square, 2 vertical squares, etc.), and allow input such as drawing number, name and scale. You can see it in the attached file what I am up to. I thought that I could do this with Marionette, so this is my first attempt. It worked for the most parts except when I added the line to display scale, it didn’t convert to an object node. My questions:

• What’s wrong with the “scale” line in this example? it stopped running when I put it in a wrapper. 
  • Am I using the right tool? the network seems complicated for something fairly simple. Would this make the file huge and slow down the computer if I have hundreds of them? I hope that it would behave like a symbol. Please advise if you can think of a better way.

Thanks,

Marionette_detail_title.vwx

Weird stuff happening inside a wrapped node.

Your version ran fine here.

In the original version, I had changed the string in the Drawing Scale node to be something that did not require anything to be escaped and it did not run.

I copies the escaped string from your version and pasted it into the original version and the wrapped network ran fine.

I edited the string back to something without escape characters and it still runs fine.

It appears that there is some kind of caching going on that is not always reliable.

Thanks so much, Stephan and Pat for debugging the file. Putting in the escape characters in the wrapper worked great, but the characters also show in the OIP as 1\"=1'-0\" when I converted the wrapper to an object. As soon as I deleted the "\" the object disappeared. (build 393917)

Going back to my second question, do you think there is a better way to make this symbol (not using Marionette)? My concerns are resource intensity and user access to the Marionette script.

Thanks,

This object could be made relatively easily using just a symbol, a custom record format, and Link Text to Record.

As long as you are happy with typing in the scale and the detail number it will be fine.  If you want to be able to automatically grab the scale from the drawing, or auto increment the detail number you will need to either use Marionette or a traditional Plugin Object.

If you convert your wrapped object to an Object Node, you have something very close to a traditional PIO. Yes a user could access the original network, but as you have seen, making modifications is not a easy as it seem that it should be. How many of your users would open the network, see the complexity and still try to make modifications?

As for speed, unless you are talking thousands of the Marionette objects in the drawing, I don't think you will ever notice them in the speed working with the file.

Hi Pat. Thanks for answering my questions. I am glad that Marionette objects do not take much computing resources. We are a tiny office with five people. I am not so concerned about the integrity of the script, but people would be freaked out if they see the script (minor annoyance). 

I tried the symbol with link text to record. I was able to enter the data from the data tap on the OIP,  but it stopped working for some reason. It also does not allow me to resize the frame. I would need to have one symbol for each configuration. 

I see that Marionette offers several advantages including taking scale and automatically increase drawing number from the project as you mentioned. Those are very cool features. I read a few threads on the forum and still haven't had a solid understanding of how it's implemented with auto coordination which is I am really after. If the drawing number is controlled by sheet annotation. Then my detail frame and info should also be on the sheet annotation. If that is the case how should I archive details and bring in details from past projects (detail library). Should I have two title symbols: one for sheet annotation with number and scale and the other one on the design layer with the drawing name only? I have to match them for every viewport.