Strip Lights - How to make them appear as one unit in Instrument Summary?

Hobbsies

I'm trying to make my strip lights appear as one unit instead of each individual nested symbol in my instrument summaries. is there any way to do this? See attached image of how it's behaving now. I'd like the Inst schedule to just say "Altman Zip Strip 4ckt" with a qty of 1 and only show 1 symbol like it shows in my resource browser.

OGT Grinch TB strips.jpg

ogt grinch zip strip resource.JPG

Edited by Hobbsies

Go the the build list and make sure that the "Parent" symbol is in the build list and the cell symbols are taken off the list. Click on the Parent symbol entry and enter 3 into the circuits box below. 3 corresponds to the amount of cells it needs to count to make one multi circuit instrument. All should be well after that and you should have the correct number of Zip strips showing.

You must make sure that the Instrument name is the same in all the symbol instances of this fixture though otherwise the plugin won't know what to count. 

I hope that works for you.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, markdd said:

Go the the build list and make sure that the "Parent" symbol is in the build list and the cell symbols are taken off the list. Click on the Parent symbol entry and enter 3 into the circuits box below. 3 corresponds to the amount of cells it needs to count to make one multi circuit instrument. All should be well after that and you should have the correct number of Zip strips showing.

You must make sure that the Instrument name is the same in all the symbol instances of this fixture though otherwise the plugin won't know what to count. 

I hope that works for you.

Hi Mark,

Thank you. I did tried that and I think we're on the right track, but vwx still thinks I haven't used the main strip light resource in my document despite dropping it directly onto the plot onto the position I'm referencing. The parent symbols (znested L, R, C etc) are not considered lights only the main symbols and have been removed from both the build list and the lighting symbol maintenance report.

Once i figure out these, I'll fix the par56 strip symbols and the cyc lights I have leftover so just ignore those in the attached photo.

build list.JPG

Edited by Hobbsies

That's because you haven't! When the parent symbol is inserted, the program automatically splits it up into the various parts, and calls it a multi circuit instrument. So technically its right. You will need to look for the parent symbol in the unused Instrument Symbols section.

On 10/17/2017 at 1:40 PM, markdd said:

That's because you haven't! When the parent symbol is inserted, the program automatically splits it up into the various parts, and calls it a multi circuit instrument. So technically its right. You will need to look for the parent symbol in the unused Instrument Symbols section.

Maybe I built the symbol incorrectly then.

I made a quick vid of me trying to get this working:

I really appreciate your help :)

Edited by Hobbsies

What Mark is saying is that when you have things set up correctly, the combined symbol is unused and the parts show up as used. Indeed this is the case when you look at the actual symbols

in use — you don’t have any Lighting Devices actually utilizing the combined symbol, only separate Lighting Devices for each part. 

Counting, on the other hand, looks for unique Instrument type data, not unique symbols. This is by design: you might have multiple symbols representing the same type: over hung / underhung, plan view / front view, etc. I have a version of my source fours that is slightly shorter for pipe ends, etc. 

This also works for strip lights, where you count up all the cells, but also divide by the number of cells per unit. You can have whatever symbol you want to represent them in the key. For long PAR 56 strips, I have a symbol with a break line showing only the start of the strip. I would never actually use this symbol for a lighting device. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

What Mark is saying is that when you have things set up correctly, the combined symbol is unused and the parts show up as used. Indeed this is the case when you look at the actual symbols

in use — you don’t have any Lighting Devices actually utilizing the combined symbol, only separate Lighting Devices for each part. 

Counting, on the other hand, looks for unique Instrument type data, not unique symbols. This is by design: you might have multiple symbols representing the same type: over hung / underhung, plan view / front view, etc. I have a version of my source fours that is slightly shorter for pipe ends, etc. 

This also works for strip lights, where you count up all the cells, but also divide by the number of cells per unit. You can have whatever symbol you want to represent them in the key. For long PAR 56 strips, I have a symbol with a break line showing only the start of the strip. I would never actually use this symbol for a lighting device. 

Oh, I think I understand. So to pass it back as I understand it, what he was saying was that I can use whatever parts (symbols) I want in the main symbol of the strip light, and the counting tool will count those as the same unit as long as their instrument name is the same. 

so for example my zip strips are made up of three symbols named Zip L, Zip C, and Zip R. These should appear in my lighting symbol maintenance report as different symbol names but have the same instrument name, so they’ll be counted as one type of light in the instrument summary on my title pages. 

I’ll try that when I get to work tomorrow. Thanks for both of your help!

Thats it. 

Here is an example. You can create a separate instrument summary symbol if you like. I do mine like this and use these for my instrument summaries. I duplicate one of the nested symbols, strip out the 3D portion and adapt the 2D portion. The Light Info record data stays the same:

59e6b1e0ca366_ScreenShot2017-10-18at02_43_30.png.0fd0a40a286790e3a87c6f81db66f6e1.png

The resulting Symbol maintenance window should look like this:

59e6b14ccb307_ScreenShot2017-10-18at02_29_50.png.d97f652afe4489284ae1546359ba10d0.png

59e6b14f1a11d_ScreenShot2017-10-18at02_40_00.png.c85b7d253d924e6e96b058841a6f65e5.png

I have attached the file here as well.

Instrument Summary Tool v2016.vwx

Instrument Summary Tool.vwx

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1
On 10/17/2017 at 6:37 PM, markdd said:

Thats it. 

Here is an example. You can create a separate instrument summary symbol if you like. I do mine like this and use these for my instrument summaries. I duplicate one of the nested symbols, strip out the 3D portion and adapt the 2D portion. The Light Info record data stays the same:

The resulting Symbol maintenance window should look like this:

I have attached the file here as well.

Instrument Summary Tool v2016.vwx

Instrument Summary Tool.vwx

Got it working!! Thank you soooo much! <3

working strips.jpg

Edited by Hobbsies