ISO Structural Shapes, Don't see them

The german "DIN" is completely metric :)

But I am not sure if ISO objects will use any deviating dimensions ?

(I think the Profiles should be pretty standardized)

In Metric tables you should always find dimensions like L beam 90 mm x 90 mm, or 80 mm x 80 mm.

Never any 87,538792 mm. No matter if DIN or ISO.

Edited by zoomer

Something to be aware when using a national standard is whether the ISO standard was implemented into it or not

E.g. (leaving out the standards number code)

DIN means it is a German national standard which may not be part of an international standard

EN is a EuroNorm standard, EU member states are obliged to incorporate such a standard in their national standards system.

DIN-EN means it is  European standard that has been fully implemented within the DIN standard (all EuroNorm (EN) standards must be implemented in the national standards systems of the EU member states)

Even though ISO standards are global there is no obligation to implement them into regional or national standards, but it is done at times and then you should see something like this:

DIN-ISO means the corresponding standard was implemented within the DIN but not within EN

DIN-EN-ISO means the ISO standard was implemented in the EuroNorms as well and therefore also in the EU member states national standards.

Most EU and EU member states national standards will most likely align to a large extent with the comparable ISO standard but may contain additional things that are not in the ISO standard in order to accommodate for national issues. (Or things might have been omitted from the ISO standard if that part of the ISO standard would not apply anyway)

So if you must use ISO structural shapes then you need to know if the DIN items in VW are DIN, DEN-EN, DIN-ISO or DIN-EN-ISO. Only in the latter two cases (DIN-ISO and DIN-EN-ISO) the DIN will be identical to the ISO.  Though a DIN-ISO norm might be rare as it is more likely it would be a DIN-EN-ISO anyway.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but sometimes the differences do matter a lot.

Edited by Art V

Just checked with VW2017 as I thought there was an ISO version in the past but it seems to be missing there too. While other items (e.g. screws) do have an ISO version. I guess I must have used the DIN version in the past. The differences are probably minor (e.g. the range of sizes) as I do recall the DIN sizes I needed at the time to be the same as the ones listed in an ISO reference document, but I can't guarantee that for all sizes though it should be likely.

e.g. the BSI metric version has slightly different dimensions  in some cases (e.g. 89 instead of 90) so using DIN might be the better option for now.