Snap To Grid?

Yes, it would be nice to have snap to grid work in orthogonal views as well, basically in any 3D view where you can choose whether the Z-axis grid should be snappable or not (in case you only want to snap to X/Y for positioning on a horizontal area or any surface in the X/Y plane in a tilted view for that matter).
Or have snap to each axis to be on/off per axis.

You are right.

But beside that snapping to geometry in those current "3D" orthogonal Views will make you always

unwanted jump in 3rd Axis direction,

I normally use a typical (industrial) 1,20 m visible Grid together with a 0,30 or 0,10 m snapping Grid.

(Additional to my usual, manually drawn, 7,20 m Column Grid, its with potential abnormalities)

As far as I remember, Grid is shown and snap able in 3D Isometrics.

Maybe in front/left/right/back too you just can't see the Grid beside than a line :)

And not to forgot that (in eralier VW versions ?) you could restrict the Grid Display to

paper size (gone now ?), or infinite as I preferred, but in 3D it always was limited by paper size.

That is why I use a funny document paper size of about 5,80 m x 3,80 m,

to make my Grid available for the whole building,

which for me is normally located between positive X and positive Y Axis only.

So pity to have to waste ¾ of my Grid useless.

yes, object snaps normally have priority and it should work to align such an edge to the grid.

if you want to align a object to the grid you have to zoom in.

I also experienced that when zoomed out you picked the grid and moved the object by grid distance

instead of aligning. strange ....