Angular and radial dimensions in Viewports

SeanOSkea

Question

I'm still using 16 but I wonder if the ability to use radial and angle dimensions in a view port annotation has been addressed? The only thing I could find in the KB was some old posts from 2009 asking this same question--ah 2009...such and innocent time.

I've been working around it for years like we all have by drawing arcs and lines on top of the object in the viewport. Why do linear dims snap but not the others? As 98% of my (our?) dimensioning is happening in the annotations these days, it seems odd that these tools only work in the design layers. 

I'm I missing something? Has this been addressed in 17 or 18? 

Sean 

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, SeanOSkea said:

I'm still using 16 but I wonder if the ability to use radial and angle dimensions in a view port annotation has been addressed? The only thing I could find in the KB was some old posts from 2009 asking this same question--ah 2009...such and innocent time.

I've been working around it for years like we all have by drawing arcs and lines on top of the object in the viewport. Why do linear dims snap but not the others? As 98% of my (our?) dimensioning is happening in the annotations these days, it seems odd that these tools only work in the design layers. 

I'm I missing something? Has this been addressed in 17 or 18? 

Sean 

Sean,

Its slowly gotten better over time but I often still find myself using the workaround of drawing arcs/circles/lines for elevation viewports created from more complex 3d shapes. It won't recognize something like a horizontal cylinder subtracted from a vertical cylinder to create a hole that is round in a front elevation.

Kevin

15 minutes ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

You are correct Kevin. I tested this issue and it's has been reported. 

Thanks Luis. Its great to hear these issues are now being tracked.

There are lots of other situations I've seen. The Centre Mark tool, for example, sees the correct geometry (eg. it will highlight circles) but gives an error when you click to place a centre mark.

Kevin