Wall Openings that can be turned on and off

Is there any way to make an opening in a wall that shows up in one layer or class and not another?  I am working on a project in which I would like demolition to happen in phases.  It would be nice to create an opening that can be turned on and off via classes.

I tried using wall recesses and doors.  Is there anything I am not considering?  I would rather not have duplicate walls. 

Edited by cberg

Maybe 2 Walls, 1 with opening, 1 without, in different Classes.

Maybe each grouped to avoid auto connecting.

Maybe then modeling all possible T joined Walls with additional

Wall parts of reduced components where joins cut components,

at the join area.

And so on.

I admit a Demolition Attribute that will auto control if visible or not

would be easier.

Agree that exist/propose function would be great feature.  Could be just a special smart class that defeats the wall opening component when off? Or at least an option to send in/out of wall - see workarounds below.

Couple workarounds:

Start by creating new classes, eg ExistingDoors, ExistingWindows with distinct line & fill.

Workaround #1.

Create extrude for each window/door type - correct dimension, slightly thicker than the wall, assign to the Existing class.

Create symbol from each type, assign symbol to appropriate Existing class.

Create a 2d screen plane (hybrid) component for each symbol as desired.

Position instance in the wall (not cutting).

Turn the classes on/off for views as needed.

3d views show extrusion interrupting both sides of wall, but no door/window detail.

TopPlan shows 2d hybrid component, so can fake a wall break.

Not sure how to sensibly add these to common door schedules.

Workaround #2.

Use the vwx door & window objects, but defeat the wall cut feature. Windows can be just cased openings

Assign existing doors/windows to the new classes.

Make the jambs/casings deeper than the walls, just enough to have them poke out on either side.

For doors, set the display to open, eg 60° or 90°

For each instance, move the door/window out of the wall.

Move it back into position so that it does NOT cut the wall, eg with Move by Points.

When the Existing class is on:

3d rendered views show the jamb/casing, & open door leaf, but the opening has fill.

3d Wireframe views show jamb/casing, but no open door. no fill. duh.

Top shows the jamb/casing sticking out each side of wall, open door, but no wall breaks.

Top Plan shows jambs & open door, but no wall breaks.

Doors/windows can show in schedules.

-B

3d.png

Top.png

TopPlan.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Brainwave - another workaround:

Create plugs for the existing openings.  These are bits of wall that have same style & attributes as the surrounding wall, and are sized to occupy the volumes of the demolition door and window wall openings.  Class the plugs so that they can be invisible in existing condition views, and visible in new/proposed views.  The existing doors, windows and other openings involved in demolition will need class fiddling too, opposite of the plugs - visible in existing conditions and invisible in proposed views.

It works except where a new opening partially intersects the plug.  Maybe others can invent a clever way around that.

-B

• 4 years later...

Where (n) windows are going to replace (e) windows in their same openings, I create a class called "WNDO-EXIST OPG" and insert a size matched window object of the operation type "opening" into the wall. You can create a style that displays the opening as you like (showing wall linesor not, e.g.).  This opening through the wall will show in plan and model whether or not you have the classes "WNDO-EXIST" and/or "WNDO-NEW" and/or "DEMO-WNDO" active (visible). For the window units themselves, I simply place them within the opening already created in the wall (make sure that Wall Insertion Mode is toggled off on the Selection Tool before you place them), and assign them whichever class is applicable.  This gives me total control over correctly showing, for example, Demolition Plans, Existing Elevations v Proposed Elevations, all within one model file.