Custom Instrument Summary/Key

I am curious if the below were generated with the instrument summary tool or if they are a custom worksheet,  or just manual text with the mode info/QTY:  ##.   I'm assuming some variant of the later as I can't figure out how to make the tool format with line breaks in this way.   I'm also curious about the horizontal one with multiple views of fixtures.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 3.25.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 3.32.41 PM.png

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • 2 months later...
On 13/10/2017 at 4:34 AM, Wesley Burrows said:

I am curious if the below were generated with the instrument summary tool or if they are a custom worksheet,  or just manual text with the mode info/QTY:  ##.   I'm assuming some variant of the later as I can't figure out how to make the tool format with line breaks in this way.   I'm also curious about the horizontal one with multiple views of fixtures.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 3.25.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 3.32.41 PM.png

The horizontal one with multiple views seem like a manual creation indeed. Incidentally, I'm also interested if spotlight could in fact create a key that allows us to choose different views of the lighting fixtures.

Lighting rigs these days can be vertically quite complex and I find myself resorting to front or side elevations to best display the intent of the hang. 

And with 3D labels already implemented into VWX symbols, it seems like a natural progression to also allow us to display lighting symbols in their front views in symbol keys?

I've been spending some time in worksheets and it seems possible. There is an option to insert images of symbols in their various orientations and I think even in different render states. The hidden line render seems to work best for my work. 

Unfortunately I haven't spent enough time to work out the formatting to my liking. Not have I found a way to automate it to the ease of a PIO such as instrument summary. 

Perhaps someone could shed light on worksheets that might be tailored for such purposes?

Gabriel

This idea might be a good workaround to get you near to what you are looking for:

You could make special "Instrument Summary" Symbols. The 3D views could be created in a worksheet and then placed as a screenshot into a duplicate of the instrument you want to count in the Instrument Summary Tool. For the Instrument Summary tool to count the summary symbol the Light Info Record Instrument Type needs to be identical to the symbol you are substituting.

5a5765ad93245_ScreenShot2018-01-11at13_24_27.thumb.png.a76bdb9ea797c0466f7caa235b2e050e.png

I have done it with a horizontal orientation, but you could arrange the "Summary"symbol any way you like. Take a look at the file which I have attached below.

Instrument Summary.vwx

Hope that helps.

Mark

Edited by markdd
12 hours ago, markdd said:

This idea might be a good workaround to get you near to what you are looking for:

You could make special "Instrument Summary" Symbols. The 3D views could be created in a worksheet and then placed as a screenshot into a duplicate of the instrument you want to count in the Instrument Summary Tool. For the Instrument Summary tool to count the summary symbol the Light Info Record Instrument Type needs to be identical to the symbol you are substituting.

5a5765ad93245_ScreenShot2018-01-11at13_24_27.thumb.png.a76bdb9ea797c0466f7caa235b2e050e.png

I have done it with a horizontal orientation, but you could arrange the "Summary"symbol any way you like. Take a look at the file which I have attached below.

Instrument Summary.vwx

Hope that helps.

Mark

Thanks Mark! Will have a look into it after opening a show this weekend. The workaround solution looks promising!

Gabriel

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 5:32 AM, markdd said:

Instrument Summary.vwx

Hope that helps.

Mark

Wow, I really like this idea! I think you were the one who helped me fix my strip light symbols too.

On 11/01/2018 at 9:32 PM, markdd said:

Instrument Summary.vwx

Hope that helps.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Finally got down to replying - been a busy week with three plots to finish up! By screen shot did you mean literally a preview snapshot? I think I have gotten most of the steps right except for the screen shot bit - similar logic to creating multiple circuited symbols in that sense. 

How do you create the symbol out from the worksheet screen shot though? Doesn't that inherently convert the symbol into a jpeg/png? I was wondering if I could say flatten the 3D object lines in hidden line render in front or side view and convert that into the symbol?

Gabriel