Is it possible to add to a polygon to the wall and make the polygon become the wall. I recall a tool that would allow this/

Andrew Mac

What do you need to achieve Andrew?

It looks like your sketch could easily be created as an extrusion as you don't show any components to the 'wall'. Did you actually want to have the wall continue and work as walls do in VW?

And, if you will want linked components - is this what you're after?

59df9ad2d2678_ScreenShot2017-10-12at17_38_26.png.1bbe111e03daea925d084d7652e2ab0c.png

If not, can you explain a little more.

I am trying to achieve a plan view of the walls.  I often deal with older buildings that have different wall thicknesses and bump out or chases.  I typically draw the walls first and then go back and add a polygon and would like to attach  them  to the walls- the example I attached i the desired look in plan view

@JimWIsn't there a problem with this, as the wall projection tool doesn't like a shape in the corner (junction in this case) of two wall parts.

In my example I had to break it into two pieces  - a piece for each wall and then it was happy

--------

Edit - you got there before me Andrew.

Edited by Gadzooks
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 minutes ago, Andrew Mac said:

How would I go about adding this polygon in the corner between two walls- It doesn't seem to allow me to select 2 walls and create wall projection.  I can achieve this when the  polygon bump out is in the middle of one wall but then not in the corner

1 minute ago, Gadzooks said:

In my example I had to break it into two pieces  - a piece for each wall and then it was happy

Correct, only one wall is allowed in the projection command, so either it should be split as suggested above, or applied to one wall and then if there are extra undesired lines, remove them in viewport annotations. Whichever works better for you. Many requests have gone in for allowing projections/recessions more easily in corners and intersections.

The AEC>Pillar command? This makes a hybrid object from a polygon, similar to an extrude.  The cursor tip indicates the resulting pillar can be joined to a wall, but I don't see how to do that.

It's explained in Vectorworks Help.  The trick is to draw the corner as a pillar and then end the walls on the pillar.  If the walls are already drawn to the corner, and pillar source poly envelops the corner, then select each wall and pull its end back from the corner. If no auto join, apply the wall join from pillar to each wall. (wall to pillar might not work).

-B

Pillar.png

Edited by Benson Shaw