Hanging Positions big problem

markdd

12 hours ago, Mike Wright said:

I'm interested to see if there is a resolution to this, it looks like another limitation of the truss tool which seems to be poorly implemented at best 

Dear Mike,

I think you are being somewhat unfair. Users can still draw trussing using symbols and the symbol insertion tool or use the PIO truss tools and work as before. The Insert Truss, Connect Truss and Insert Load tools are extras in 2018. The ability to lay out trusses so much more efficiently is incredibly useful and although there might be issues as I have seen you have noted elsewhere about vertical trusses and so on connecting with corners etc it doesn't take much to quickly tidy up. There is still much more accuracy and ease of use in 2018 than 2017, and Braceworks is to be thanked for that. I am sure in time these small issues will get addressed and I'd far rather have these tools right now and not later.

I have also observed and reported also that the devices go to the half way point when being attached to a hanging position which is what this thread is about.  A nuisance but easy to tidy up (once more). I have no doubt the engineers and developers know all this, have their reasons and their game plan, so be patient. I for one am grateful we have these choices with the new tools and methods.

2 hours ago, markdd said:

Thanks. Out of interest, can you make a 3D hybrid symbol Into a hanging position and give an instrument Z height?

If I use a hybrid truss symbol and give it a height then convert to a hanging position, lighting devices do not take on the z value of the hanging position (but they do take on the name so they are 'attached'). This has been reported as well.

Cheers,

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Neufeld said:

If I use a hybrid truss symbol and give it a height then convert to a hanging position, lighting devices do not take on the z value of the hanging position (but they do take on the name so they are 'attached'). This has been reported as well

Thanks Peter. I can't for the life of me get the hybrid truss symbol to behave the same way as it used to do when converted to a lighting position. I have done a completely fresh install and still no change. Also, a simple hybrid symbol used to work fine and heights would be be transferred from Lighting Position (now Hanging Position) extremely reliably. It is a real drag that no longer works. I am glad the engineers are aware of it, but surprised it hasn't cropped up at all on these forums. Last year's Spotlight bug when VWX crashed if you tried to edit a symbol caused howls of protest here and on the facebook forums for the whole 2017 cycle. Admittedly I am not experiencing a crash, but surely others have noticed the problem. 

I saw Braceworks demoed in London last week and I think it is going to be impressive. however, there seem to be several oddities that will need to be ironed out with the non-licence version that Spotlight users get, particularly around hanging position loads with regard to Instruments and accessories. The calculations are just not reliable enough without checking, which rather defeats the point of it. Accessories don't add to the load at all which is daft. 

Hi Mark, yes agreed it's a nuisance.

The hanging position retains the original height of the truss symbol prior to being converted to a hanging position, but any added instruments do not (= drag).

I think that things like accessories and so on will come in time. I can see lots of things but there's always a limit on time and resources. For example the softwoods have load information attached (at the Bottom of the OIP) and if you draw a drape which is 10m long by 6m high and put a weight in all is fine. If you change the height of the drape to 3m high the weight stays the same. It would be good if that also recalculated. So there are always lots of things that get added once a feature gets developed, in time.  For example look at the Resource Manager in 2017 and now in 2018.

I do hope that these issues re attaching at the correct chord and especially the correct height for symbols>hanging positions get fixed sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Neufeld
10 minutes ago, markdd said:

I am glad the engineers are aware of it, but surprised it hasn't cropped up at all on these forums. Last year's Spotlight bug when VWX crashed if you tried to edit a symbol caused howls of protest here and on the facebook forums for the whole 2017 cycle. Admittedly I am not experiencing a crash, but surely others have noticed the problem. 

I'd guess folks are a little more hesitant to dive all the way in to 2018 at this point, based on the experiences of early adoption of 2017.   I know I haven't put 2018 through it's paces as much yet because of it.

Edited by Wesley Burrows

I understand that a new feature should develop, particularly after feedback by users, but the Lighting Position tool has worked well (albeit a bit limited) for years and to break one of it's key functions in order to enable Braceworks is very unhelpful to say the least. Didn't some of the Beta testers notice this problem? I discovered it within an hour of downloading the new version.....

BTW I seem to have developed an new menu item since re-installing. Its called de-bug. Looks interesting. I feel sure I shouldn't be seeing that.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 02.41.55.png

I have the same problem:   

Used insert truss tool.   Inserted some 5' Tomcat truss pieces.   Created a hanging position from (all the pieces)  as geometry.   Place a mac viper on it.   Resulted in this:

59e01a4edbd35_ScreenShot2017-10-12at8_39_45PM.png.3d83331516ca0f3bcde6ca5aa717eb04.png

59e01a4e8f3a6_ScreenShot2017-10-12at8_39_50PM.png.af6991fb461cb79749772a671185e7df.png

Oddly enough I can't even get the truss PIO to draw anything.   (Even after restarting)  So I can't test that.  Not sure what's going on with that.   2018 SP1

Edited by Wesley Burrows
spelling fail
1 minute ago, Wesley Burrows said:

Oddly enough I can't event get the truss PIO to draw anything.   (Even after restarting)  Not sure what's going on with that.   2018 SP1

I had that. Tech support sorted me out. Basically you will need to reset your 2018 user preferences folder. Get them to walk you through it. Its easy. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Peter Neufeld said:

Hi Mark, yes agreed it's a nuisance.

The hanging position retains the original height of the truss symbol prior to being converted to a hanging position, but any added instruments do not (= drag).

I think that things like accessories and so on will come in time. I can see lots of things but there's always a limit on time and resources. For example the softwoods have load information attached (at the Bottom of the OIP) and if you draw a drape which is 10m long by 6m high and put a weight in all is fine. If you change the height of the drape to 3m high the weight stays the same. It would be good if that also recalculated. So there are always lots of things that get added once a feature gets developed, in time.  For example look at the Resource Manager in 2017 and now in 2018.

I do hope that these issues re attaching at the correct chord and especially the correct height for symbols>hanging positions get fixed sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey there Peter:  you write "…will come in time…". As a VSS subscriber, I have learned the hard way jumping into the latest V1.0 of the app hair-tearingly painful. I still struggle with 2017's problems with camera, and lights. I have a couple files where, in order to direct the beam to target, the light must be aimed exactly 180º from it's intended focus. Yes, that took a while to come to grips with. And it appears to be random. And, nope I don't have time in my life to chase down bugs for Tech Support, I barely have time enough for my design practice, much less my two kids. Or the other things in my life I don't have enough time for.They pay me, I'd consider it. 2018 might solve that inverted light problem, don't know, as the initial round of issues with 2018 so troubled my workflow that I went back to 2017, where I have some strategies in place to cope. The time to use this software is apparently SP2 or 3.

Dear mjm,

Agreed about jumping into first release software. To be prudent, an SP1 or SP2 release would be worth waiting on before fully committing. It's no different to operating systems - anyone going with the first release of High Sierra for example is a pioneer, likewise most software.

I can't help you with the issues you describe. Are they Renderworks lights or lighting devices and Focus Points, I haven't seen that issue.

Cheers,

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Neufeld said:

Dear mjm,

Agreed about jumping into first release software. To be prudent, an SP1 or SP2 release would be worth waiting on before fully committing. It's no different to operating systems - anyone going with the first release of High Sierra for example is a pioneer, likewise most software.

I can't help you with the issues you describe. Are they Renderworks lights or lighting devices and Focus Points, I haven't seen that issue.

Cheers,

Peter

Dear Peter: They're RW lights. See attached for visual explanation. This file is not my only file acting so. In this case, the file has been imported from a VWX 2016 file.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.57.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 10.00.05 PM copy.jpg

Edited by mjm
11 hours ago, Wesley Burrows said:

Oddly enough I can't even get the truss PIO to draw anything.   (Even after restarting)  So I can't test that.  Not sure what's going on with that.   2018 SP1

I may have a solution that doesn’t involve losing your user settings:  when updating service packs, do not overwrite your old 2018 install location. Rename or remove your old 2018 application  folder before running the installer. You actually get prompted to do this during the install process, but it’s easy to ignore. It’s never given me trouble before, but as the Braceworks libraries are revising, there isn’t a 1 to 1 replacement with old files. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JBenghiat said:

I may have a solution that doesn’t involve losing your user settings:  when updating service packs, do not overwrite your old 2018 install location. Rename or remove your old 2018 application  folder before running the installer. You actually get prompted to do this during the install process, but it’s easy to ignore. It’s never given me trouble before, but as the Braceworks libraries are revising, there isn’t a 1 to 1 replacement with old files. 

Thanks Josh and Mark.   I'll be on the look out for that option next time.  For now I just renamed my user folder and relaunched.  Then copied back my workspaces and plugins from the renamed folder to the newly generated one.   So I didn't lose too much.    I have no idea what caused that to happen though.