VW 2017/2018 Cinema 4D Export Bug?

Wesley Burrows

Question

I'm using VW Spotlight 2018 and now Cinema 4D R19 (this also happened in 2017 and R18)   I find that after 1 or 2 Exports to Cinema 4D or send to Cinema 4D commands,  the file exported is only 127KB vs 16+MB it normally is and of course won't import all the geometry properly.    The problem is briefly fixed after restarting VW,  it'll allow another 1 or 2 exports before doing the same thing.   This happens no matter which options are selected in the export dialog.   (And as far as I can tell these options don't really do anything,  VW's always seems to export as if all options are checked) 

Anyone else?

I am having repeated fails trying to export an .fbx of a terrain model. No file at all is created. This is after updating service pack 4 (?) on VW 2018 Landmark.

As per this and other threads on the topic, I have already tried to export Geometry only, and I have tried saving the .fbx to the same location as the vectorworks file. I get the same result; that is to say, nothing.

I've had a pretty frustrating experience overall with the export functions on Vectorworks. What gives?

Anyone?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, jderoussel said:

I am having repeated fails trying to export an .fbx of a terrain model. No file at all is created. This is after updating service pack 4 (?) on VW 2018 Landmark.

As per this and other threads on the topic, I have already tried to export Geometry only, and I have tried saving the .fbx to the same location as the vectorworks file. I get the same result; that is to say, nothing.

I've had a pretty frustrating experience overall with the export functions on Vectorworks. What gives?

Anyone?

Same issue after a complete restart?

1 minute ago, jderoussel said:

A restart seems do have done the trick.  I feel foolish for not trying that first! Thank you!

You might try a couple times post restart and see if the problem resurfaces.   The Cinema 4D export does,   every time.   Though a restart will fix it for an export or two.   

I started using Cinema 4D in April of 2017 and the bug existed then.   So it's likely been around since 2017 was released in September of 2016 if not before.    Why it hasn't been fixed? I have no Idea.   I know tech support has reproduced it,  I filed a bug back in October of 2017,   tech support stopped responding to update requests regarding it in December.  I really hope 2019 takes care of it, as it appears 2018 is a lost cause.   Luckily?!  Vectorworks 2018 crashes/need's to be force-quit/restarted so often on it's own that I've likely restarted between exports already.     

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

So, I'm of course far from an expert on it, but we've found a lot of instances where the crash/hang handling between Vectorworks and C4D is the root of many problems. In pursuing the black viewport/rendering issue, we've had some of the MAXON folk come over on the beta forums and theyre trying to hunt it down as well. I would suspect that if this communication between Vectorworks and the render engine is the issue and can be fixed, it would actually solve or lead directly to the solution of many of these "It just stops until i kick it again" issues.

3 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

So, I'm of course far from an expert on it, but we've found a lot of instances where the crash/hang handling between Vectorworks and C4D is the root of many problems. In pursuing the black viewport/rendering issue, we've had some of the MAXON folk come over on the beta forums and theyre trying to hunt it down as well. I would suspect that if this communication between Vectorworks and the render engine is the issue and can be fixed, it would actually solve or lead directly to the solution of many of these "It just stops until i kick it again" issues.

Thanks for the response Jim!   Here's hoping!    I'm looking forward to having a beer again with you @ Design Summit in November 🙂

33 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

2019 SP0 Update:

I have been able to export successfully 4 times and counting so far without a VW restart!    Dare I say this bug has been fixed?    Anyone else?

Can confirm that I just performed 4 exports without restarting, with different settings and all work. Looks like it's gone! thank you devs

• Like 1