gamechanger

afternoon

just downloaded the 2018 version for a trial.....on the surface, nothing seems to have changed but once I delve into 2018 I am sure it has tremendously...... i guess a lot of you are using 2018...interested to hear your comments on how you have found the improvements and which one has helped you most....or you enjoy using most............as a 3d guy how are you finding sub-d........is it easier to use....need to have a go to find out......

your comments would be appreciated

thanks

For me VW releases work like an Intel tick tock.

VW 2013 Yeah !

VW 2014 meh

VW 2015 Yeah !

VW 2016 meh

VW 2017 Yeah !

VW 2018 Hmmh

10 minutes ago, Phil hunt said:

how you have found the improvements and which one has helped you most

The shiny new VW 2018 features worked astonishing well since their SP 0 release.

VW 2017 had a large positive impact for my workflow + some small degradation.

VW 2018 hast not. I like the new features very much and will use them subsequently for sure.

But those are not on top of the list of things that have great influence on my workflow.

So not much difference over VW 2017 for me.

Your mileage may vary.

On the other hand, if I look at things that are not included in VW 2018,

- unified VW vs international+localized versions,

- GUI, UI, UX

- improvements for Story and especially Level system,

- improvements Window/Door Tools (German or WinDoor)

- improvements for Screen Plane and 2Dvs2.5Dvs3D glitches and the problems that arise out of these for Tools

- improvements Basic Toolset like Selection, Scale, Move/Copy, Axis Locks, ....

- improvements for lots of small defaults and settings,

and such things that I need thousands of times a day would have more influence on my workflow and moodmood.

So like I it started with Vw2014 for me more than 4 years ago I still fight with most of the same legacy issues,

shades of imperial units and non-modern-Architecture options clustering my Tool Settings.

So not so bad that I would question my VSS in general, but excitement looks different.

Letting aside weighting and importance of changes,

the new features and improvements under the hood are enormous in effort and quality. You can feel now a lot of very

ambitious people doing very good new work and already started cleaning under the carpet.

(It is just that it was a quite big carpet)

And as always, newest release of VW is the best release of VW.

Destructions of preexisting features by VW 2018's new features are minimal and I started a new project by VW 2018 SP 0

and so far didn't regret.

44 minutes ago, zoomer said:

The shiny new VW 2018 features worked astonishing well since their SP 0 release.

VW 2017 had a large positive impact for my workflow + some small degradation.

VW 2018 hast not. I like the new features very much and will use them subsequently for sure.

But those are not on top of the list of things that have great influence on my workflow.

So not much difference over VW 2017 for me.

Your mileage may vary.

I feel the same way.  I was hoping for a lot more from 2018.  Multi view is nice and some Renderworks upgrades.  The only thing I was thrilled about is you can now customize the top and bottom heights of individual wall components in instances of styled walls to respond more efficiently to varied building conditions.  That's it really.  Oh the changes for worksheets is great too.

Edited by Markvl

In all honesty even though we have 2018 I am still using 2017 as there is nothing for us of any real significance. Multi-Viewport but that's it and on its own not enough to invest time in 2018.

Best release we ever had was 2015 by a country mile - now that was a game changer.

Now its too much bling and not enough substance :( (apologies to those who worked incredibly hard on the release)

• Like 1

It’s really interesting to hear these comments......although I have the opportunity in upgrading now I have been offered it at the original price.....I still find it easier to gave one screen and just change the views to suit.....find the multi views to small....sub-d.....need to spend some time with this.....wish it was like form z.   Though.....never want to be negative as a lot of talented people have worked there butts of to bring 2018 to the table......and I am sure to many negtives....are no good to anyone

I believe that the multiple view panes will be a game changer. The challenge at the moment is that your workflow has been designed to not take advantage of multiple view panes. Taking advantage of them is going to  require changing your workflow.  I used to use a program that had multiple viewing panes and it was an extremely productive and efficient way of working. I recently worked on a project where I had to change the framing and floor joists for a project and having multiple view panes so that I could see the two drawings affected was extremely useful. On one side of the screen I had the design layers, on the other side of the screen I had my two sheet layers visible at the same time. As I make changes to the design layers I could see both of the drawings updating. 

From my side, I never had anything else beside at least 4 pane multiviewport since I started CAD last Millennium.

And I still use 95% of the time 4 pane view only,

(Top, Front, Right, Iso/Perspective),

in Microstation, C4D or Modo.

Crying for 4 Viewports and how I ever should work with a single Viewport was one of my first

complaints when starting with VW 2014.

But I soon realized that there are far worse things in VW sabotaging my workflows other than being forced

to work in a single large Viewport only.

And that was my first answer when JimW posted quite some time ago about VGM improvements in

the works that are quite intensive and will finally even allow things like multi view panes.

That screen working with NumBlock number View switching, Classes/Layers and Clip Volume isn't

very hindering and works quite well.

And one should not forget that beside Top Plan and Iso/Perspective, VW's orthogonal Front/Right/Back/Left/

Top/Bottom are quite limited in many respect with their disadvantages being "3D" without corresponding

3D Tools and pretty useless for my 3D work.

So if I would have had the option to decide if a significant amount of man hours is spend in multi panes

or, in best case, fixing 60-80% of my never ending little-design-change-complaints list instead,

the best bang for the buck and what levers VW most decision would be quite obvious from my side.

But I have no problem at all that multi panes arrived anyway.

I am sure the VGM work was needed nevertheless, multi pane view is kind of a nice fall out,

and that VGM work in general will pay out at some point in the future for sure.

And I respect the work that has been done.

I think it works quite well and much better than I would have ever expected from earlier release experiences.

And I would encourage everyone to try MVPs and try to include it in your own workflow.

Edited by zoomer

Well maybe I should work on a project with 4 views.....give it a try.....and I am sure you guys are right....I wonder if i should have bought 3 more drawing boards back in the day....I would have been streets ahead of the opposition......but of course I would have had to use 4 pencils instead of just one.....lol

Edited by Phil hunt
  • Like 1

I have to say that live editing Section Viewports is fairly helpful as well.  Perhaps even more helpful than multiple views. And I too feel like it is a precursor to other things improving in the program. 

It is soooo much easier to make section drawings look better in a viewport.  Wrong texture?  Click on the viewport and fix the object.  Walls not fitting to roof.  Double click and adjust.  It helps isolate chunks of a model, in much the same way as a saved view/clip cube.  And I finally feel like I can design in section.

Edited by cberg
2 hours ago, Phil hunt said:

Well maybe I should work on a project with 4 views

No need to use all possible 128 (?) view panes at a time.

I tried 2 panes, 60% Top Plan View and 40% Iso.

I can draw my rectangles in Top Plan View and PushPull them to Extrudes in the Iso without switching views.

DL + SL View may be very useful for many people.

1 hour ago, cberg said:

I have to say that Live editing Section Viewports is fairly helpful as well

Yes, and this may even lower the need for multi pane views for DL+SL.

I think that is really cool and the way to go.

My problem is just that I do no serious 2D VP work :$

but when I look at my control Sections and Elevations from time to time, see a problem and can fix

it already in the Viewport - thats nod bad..

Edited by zoomer

That is also not on top of my list. OK, I also think it is quite tedious and all ....

But I seem to be the only one on this forum who gets his stairs done with it.

(OK, their railings don't always do what I want or need and its even more tedious

to try adapt design changes)

So improvements welcome ...

But needing to look up at the top of my monitor each time, if I'm in copy or move mode,

a number other than 1 in the number field, after I clicked on the "Move by Points" Tool.

And if I forgot about that and realize later that I have lost my original geometry at its

original position, but moved 25 duplicates of it,

for a Tool I use about 200 times a day, and my list of examples, even inside that same MBP Tool,

is much longer .... that is one of what I call a real bag of hurt.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1