Vectorworks 2018 Startup Issue (Activation)

Asemblance

Question

Hi All,

Having a bit of trouble with Vectorworks 2018 in our office. We're intermittently getting a problem whereby vwx 2018 gets stuck on first opening at 'Checking Activation'. It seems to take a very long time generally, but sometimes will get stuck and the program will fail to open entirely. This has occurred on several systems, most notably one of the office brand new IMac's, so I'm convinced hardware isn't the problem.

It could of course be related to some sort of network configuration issue our end, but this is not a problem anybody has had in the office running 2017.

Any ideas?

11 answers to this question

I am also having an intermittent issues with this. I have been using 2018 for approx 4-5 week now. I would say 80% of time it opens as expected, meaning quickly as the previous version we were using (2016)... the other 20% of the time it is a delayed opening with the splash screen stuck on "Checking Activation"... sometimes the delayed "Checking Activation" splash screen will eventually push through and Vectorworks will open, other times it will freeze completely, making me have to force quit.

Last week I had I went through this process 4 times in a row where it kept freezing... I ended up manually disconnecting from my network drive that my user preferences are stored on and it went through, after which I closed vectoworks, reconnected my network drive and re-opened without issue.

Curious if the others having this issue have their user preferences stored on a network drive... wondering if thats the root of the issue, or if that was just a work around?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There's definitely something up. I have seen both public and beta test users report similar random delays like this. Nothing internally has been confirmed, I'll try some tests with various workgroup folder setups on my home machines outside the company network and see if I can replicate.

I'm going to bet that my post here is about the same thing - 

After multiple preference resets the crashing issue is gone, but its still often hanging at the same point during startup. I wonder if its a VW web issue like there was initially with "Export Web View". Things were timing out until the web team fixed something on their end. Jim, you have mentioned before that internal licenses are dealt with differently so it wouldn't necessarily show up in internal testing.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Just wondering if anyone found a solution to this issue? I've started to experience the same thing: VW2018 gets stuck on launch and eventually needs to be force quit because it has stopped responding. I haven't changed or updated anything about my computer's OS in a while, and I was successfully using the program until yesterday. I have even tried restarting my computer. I'm now about 3 hours into my work day and VW will not open at all. 

I did have this same issue shortly after installing the program for the first time (maybe 4 months ago), but after I restarted my computer it started working again without any hiccups...until now. 

Thanks for any tips or advice.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, ronster08 said:

Just wondering if anyone found a solution to this issue? I've started to experience the same thing: VW2018 gets stuck on launch and eventually needs to be force quit because it has stopped responding. I haven't changed or updated anything about my computer's OS in a while, and I was successfully using the program until yesterday. I have even tried restarting my computer. I'm now about 3 hours into my work day and VW will not open at all. 

I did have this same issue shortly after installing the program for the first time (maybe 4 months ago), but after I restarted my computer it started working again without any hiccups...until now. 

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Is this still ocurring after installing SP3? If so, did it get worse after doing so?

(Edit: this goes for anyone who already had this issue.)