2D and 3D plans

Bea Greaves

I have a 3D plan made up of walls, 3D polys etc. The polys are coloured. I would like to make a 2D plan of the same but filling the polys with patterns from the attributes palette. How can I do this without converting the 3D ploys to 2D polys (which would mean altering both of them if there were any changes to the drawing)?

Very many thanks, Bea

You could do convert copy to polygons.

Of course, like you say, if you changed the 3d portion you would also have to change it in 2d or redo convert copy to polygon.

There isn't a really good alternate way of doing this either.

I think I read a similar post and one of the suggestions was to use the workgroup referencing feature wherein you assign each group of objects to its own class. You can reference your original file and manipulate your patterns via class assignments in the second VW file without actually modifying the original.

Haven't really tried this but its worth a shot.

ariel

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Bea, I don't know exactly what you are using the 3D polys for but what you are looking for here is "hybrid" behavior, something that give the 2D look you want in 2D and the specific 3D look you want in 3D. One way to do this is to make the geometry in question a symbol. Go to a plan view, trace the outline of your 3D polys or otherwise draw what you want the 2D to look like, then convert both 2D and 3D into a symbol. To make changes you'll have to edit the symbol, and that's an extra step, but everything will look right in every view. Another way to do this is with hybrid objects: floors, roof planes, columns, etc.

It all depends on exactly what you are drawing.