Updating Template files in 2018

Hello,

I wanted to see if there are any advantages when starting a newer software to start from scratch with some of my template files.  I was wondering if the transfer over several versions of over the years can cause any un wanted "junk" in the file.  I will give an example.

I have a template I use that has my sheet layers set up with title blocks and all the common sheets I will use for most drawings.  I also have lighting labels set up with a few lighting fixtures symbols, dimensions settings, attribute defaults and some scripts.  To transfer to new software I just open a drawing up in 2017 and save it as a regular file.  Then I would open it in 2018 and save it as template.   I have done it this way for several years.   Note there are very minimal textures and symbols this drawing.  Only what I need to keep the Label Legends correct.  I bring all other symbols in from another resource when drawing.

The reason I bring this up is that I have had some files that can get pretty slow and do not have a lot of detailed geometry in them.   Thought I would toss it out there and see if I should just make that file from scratch to clean up everything or.......

For me, so far,  it was the option to create Styles for more PIOs now,

in this case Columns, which were set as a standard setting template in previous Versions.

Duplicating and changing these ended in strange behaviors with their names and settings.

Also you could select and assign these old templates like a Style to column objects (more havoc)

With the problems I realized that I would better create a Style from scratch - but there is no option

in RM to create a column style (forgotten to add to the menu ?)

I finally found the option to create a new Column Style from "unstyled" Columns.

(Those new Styles finally look totally different in RM than my old setting preferences)

Finally from this point on everything was working again.

Edited by zoomer

Theoretically if you have only basic stuff in your templates (e.g. drawing border and a few simple items and some text/dimension styles) then it should not be an issue as far as I could notice.

You can also open the previous version template directly in the new version and then resave it as a template in the current version format or use the batch conversion to convert all your selfmade templates at once.

• Like 1