Possible Corrupt File Refusing to Email

dontevenjoke

Question

I have a file that wont email. It's not size, as I have sent a 25mb email to the client successfully, it's not my email as emails are getting through. 

The message is "Attachment not sent." IT is a PDF of around 6mb.

Could it be a corrupt file?

If it is, how can I find what might be wrong with it?

Many thanks,

4 answers to this question

11 hours ago, dontevenjoke said:

Could it be a corrupt file?

If it is, how can I find what might be wrong with it?

Create a new PDF file, save it in a different folder to avoid overwriting the old one,  and then try sending that new PDF file. If does send then the old PDF file was probably corrupt.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I agree with the above recommendation. Sometimes you can force it through by zipping the file first (Right Click > Compress) and then sending the zip, but this isn't usually needed.

The other possibility is that when a file is open in another application, perhaps in this case a PDF reader, sometimes other applications can't read them properly until the first application is closed. This is not something that's common for PDFs though, just another possible guess.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

I agree with the above recommendation. Sometimes you can force it through by zipping the file first (Right Click > Compress) and then sending the zip, but this isn't usually needed.

For sending it is usually not needed, but it may help if the receiving party cannot receive the PDF file for some reason and then zipping the file may solve that issue (though some server side software also inspects the contents of the zip file). This zipping route may work for other files as well.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

The other possibility is that when a file is open in another application, perhaps in this case a PDF reader, sometimes other applications can't read them properly until the first application is closed. This is not something that's common for PDFs though, just another possible guess.

As Jim mentioned the PDF file being open is also usually not an issue for some PDFs, but it may depend on the PDF software as some programs lock the file if you are e.g. having an edit/commenting tool active  and then sending may be a problem. If that is not the case then you could also try disabling the preview in the finder (or whatever it is called these days) as in Windows explorer this sometimes does lock the file and the same might be happening on the Mac side, but that is just a guess.

It turns out that the cause was conflicting PDF's imported into the drawing.

The client had an initial survey, then made changes to the property and needed a second survey but it was made on a different 

pdf writer...

The result was a corrupt PDF.

I tried removing either of the 2 PDF's and and the resulting PDF was fine, but when both were left in the file it made a PDF that email servers recognised as corrupt and unsendable.

They called it a dangerous file.

I was alerted to this by my ISP who saw the problem and sent me an email...

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem...