Update Prompt

Matt Overton

Question

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 hours ago, rDesign said:

The only solution is to set it to never check for updates, but then you have to keep an eye on the forums to see when a Service Pack is released.

This is currently correct. However I agree, this should be dismiss-able permanently, separate from updates for the current version, since the previous version will almost always get at least one more SP once the next version is out, in some cases two SPs. Submitting a request for a "Perma-Shush" button now. VE-98308

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JimW said:

This is currently correct. However I agree, this should be dismiss-able permanently, separate from updates for the current version, since the previous version will almost always get at least one more SP once the next version is out, in some cases two SPs. Submitting a request for a "Perma-Shush" button now. VE-98308

Does your version of VW2017 give you the dialog every time you start it up? :)

Kevin

32 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Does your version of VW2017 give you the dialog every time you start it up? :)

No, but our internal serial numbers have some notification related items disabled by default. I assume since we, as employees, SHOULD know that we aren't running the latest version, lol.

10 hours ago, JimW said:

I thought pushing learn more might have triggered permanent shushing but no.

12 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

There's so many posts on the forums right now where the commenting VW employee is not using the current public build to give feedback. Its a problem.

Those cases are a bit different. This is happening as engineers (who use future builds which is what we WANT them working on because that's their job) start speaking publicly with users and are allowed to share that future builds of the software will have fixes for issues in existing builds (which is exactly the direction we want to keep going). This i feel is more a need to mark out employees as having separate builds in some sort of visual manner on the forum specifically so that they don't just have to restate it every single time and the user also doesn't have to ask.

1 minute ago, JimW said:

This is happening as engineers (who use future builds which is what we WANT them working on because that's their job) start speaking publicly with users and are allowed to share that future builds of the software will have fixes for issues in existing builds

This is something I hope to make a more formal announcement about soon.

Okay, this update prompt thing is pretty ridiculous at this point. I have my updates set to never and it still pops up occasionally.

The worst thing is that this afternoon I had 5 high-res viewports set up on a sheet layer to render and walk away. I come back three hours later hoping to send the images off to the producers... Turns out the "2018 is now available" prompt popped up in the middle of rendering the second viewport and PAUSED THE RENDERING PROCESS. >:(

Why oh why is there not a "don't remind me again" checkbox (especially since I already have 2018). Pretty pretty please in SP5???

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3