Jim Smith

Add Surface not working in VW 2018

Question

I note that the Add Surface command isn't working in VW 2018. Is this a known bug? (I was watching the "Getting Started in VW" Webinar & they ran into the same issue; just say'n.

14 answers to this question

What types of objects are you trying to add? I'm not running into any issues here, but it could be something specific about the shapes you're using.

Surfaces not overlapping or not exactly touching ?

Should have been more specific. It's when an object has a "Hole" cut in it. One could, in the past, put a rectangle over the "hole" Select both objects then Add Surface to make the object complete. I can't get that to work any longer. 

- The work-a-round was to group the "Holy" object, Covert to Lines, remove the interior lines, Select All, Compose, exit Group, UnGroup 

Edited by Jim Smith

I believe this is already resolved in internal builds, and I do recall reading a bug about it in our tracking system earlier in the cycle.

Could you attach a simple file where it fails so I can check that your case is fixed here as well?

• Like 1

Confirmed here.

You can play a bit with object sizes and add surface and get results from :

add surface command done but still 2 objects resulting

over

2 elements selected but add surface command inaccessible grayed out

to

Polyline with whole and Rectangl, surfaces successfully added with clean rectangle as a result.

official VW 2018 (389445)

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

- The work-a-round was to group the "Holy" object, Covert to Lines, remove the interior lines, Select All, Compose, exit Group, UnGroup 

Jim, did you know you can edit the "holes" in any 2d object by editing it like a group? Select a 2d object with a hole in it, and choose Modify>Edit Polyline. I always use the keyboard shortcut since its the same as edit group, Command [

And I can confirm the issue here with very simple objects. I cannot fill the circle cutout in the square below with another square. It just won't do it.

Kevin

59d7943edf77d_ScreenShot2017-10-06at7_32_57AM.png.e9cfe86e7c454ed6333999e55c54d4c9.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister

31 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

And I can confirm the issue here with very simple objects. I cannot fill the circle cutout in the square below with another square. It just won't do it.

Kevin

59d7943edf77d_ScreenShot2017-10-06at7_32_57AM.png.e9cfe86e7c454ed6333999e55c54d4c9.png

The good news is that this was my first test, along with some other more complicated combinations, and all are working fine for me! Just have to wait for when it makes it out to you guys, which I can't say when.

12 minutes ago, Marissa Farrell said:

The good news is that this was my first test, along with some other more complicated combinations, and all are working fine for me! Just have to wait for when it makes it out to you guys, which I can't say when.

Perhaps. Are you testing on a PC again. All of us in this thread are Mac users. My bet is its another Mac only bug.

Kevin

4 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Perhaps. Are you testing on a PC again. All of us in this thread are Mac users. My bet is its another Mac only bug.

Kevin

Works on both platforms.

Just for another workaround until it makes it into a service pack (I'm not sure which one the fix will ultimately go into)

If you select more than 2 objects to add surfaces, it will work. So instead of just drawing one rectangle over your hole, draw two that still stay within the bounds of the shape you want to fix, select all three objects, and add surface.

As of July 13, 2018, Combine Surface cannot be used with all closed polylines. This used to work; now it does not. All polylines are closed with no intersecting geometry.

VW2018 on Mac VW2018 SP2, build 401138.

Mike

36 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

As of July 13, 2018, Combine Surface cannot be used with all closed polylines. This used to work; now it does not. All polylines are closed with no intersecting geometry.

VW2018 on Mac VW2018 SP2, build 401138.

Mike

Are you able to post an example file? Can you clarify the steps you are trying (Add Surface? Combine into Surface?)? I haven't had any trouble in VW2018 SP4, which is the current version.

Kevin