Story Groups (for split level, multi-building support)

Christiaan

Question

12 answers to this question

I believe the IFC spec includes a storey grouping entity already. So to me, it would be a great extension if Vectorworks exposed it. 

Would help with:-

- multiple buildings on the same site.

- extensions.

- off site building off impact assessments. 

- Split levels.

- Mezzanines

- Row houses

edit: Dare I say it we could even use it to version a storey for design testing

Edited by Matt Overton
  • Like 3

Just giving this thread a little bump as I encountered the need for this fix recently.  I have a sloping site with two buildings on it with different finished floor datums.

I had to split these into two different files and am sorting out how to reference them together into one site file.

Rob

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the best method for VW would be to build in this functionality, but it needs to be done. We're designing a home with multiple floor levels on each story. It should be easy in Vectorworks, but it's actually complicated because stories aren't set up to handle split levels. The advantages of BIM decrease when you have to manually fiddle around with slab levels and wall heights.

• Like 1

Set storey to lowest level and use storey levels for intermediate levels.

you don’t get (story above) but you get all the levels you need for most buildings.

sure there are some short comings but Having just built a model with a dozen levels on one floor I am fairly confident any other way would be even more complicated than it already is!

48 minutes ago, KIT KOLLMEYER said:

I'm not sure what the best method for VW would be to build in this functionality, but it needs to be done. We're designing a home with multiple floor levels on each story. It should be easy in Vectorworks, but it's actually complicated because stories aren't set up to handle split levels. The advantages of BIM decrease when you have to manually fiddle around with slab levels and wall heights.

Have you checked out these two threads? (Linked below).

There are some split-level sample files and PDF guides that hopefully can get you started.

• Like 1

I have, thank you for the links rDesign. For anyone reading this in the future, our current method is to set the story to the lowest floor in the level, then manually adjust intermediate slab Z heights in the OIP or just drag them up in the model. Then either AEC>fit walls to objects (slab layer), or manually adjust them with the reshape tool. Fitting the walls to the slab layer doesn't always work well because it will defer to the top slab in overlapping instances. I think there's definitely room for improvement.

• Like 1