2018 High Sierra Compatibility Issues

I am a service select customer and recently upgraded to high sierra and vw2018.  I am pleased that 2018 is so much faster and snappier than 2017.  However, i have had several easily reproducible crash to desktop problems from within VW by doing things like renaming certain viewports, changing colors etc.  I called SS and they told me i shouldn't have upgraded to high sierra.  It seems like an insane thing to tell a customer as both softwares are upgraded annually.  Has anyone else had recurring issues like this?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It was tested and was found to be incompatible with the release build of High Sierra. Since that OS build wasn't available when we released 2018, it couldn't be made compatible. A lot of changes can happen in Apple OSes right up until their release, so 2018's compatibility with their beta releases doesn't always indicate what the final state will be, which was the case this year. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, B Cox said:

Maybe next time you should email all your SS users not to upgrade to high sierra.  Most users I know and work with don't have forum accounts.

I'll make the recommendation! Soon we hope to roll all the alerts and signins together to prevent people missing things in the future, so your Service Select login and Forum account will be one and the same, so everyone can get all news all at once.

34 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

is there a rough ETA for SP1?

Can't give dates still, but very very soon.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Since MacOS upgrade coincide with VW upgrades, it seems that this issues has come up the last few Sept/Oct's. This year I won't make the upgrade to either 2018 or High Sierra until 2018 SP1 and 2017 SP5. This is just sensible. A good strategy is to install 2018 and play with it before migrating you work files. Loving the multiple views! Patience.

But its kind of a crazy system. Two software with annual upgrade tracks on top of each other.  VW should delay their upgrades until 4 months after MacOS does their annual update.  It seems foolish for pro users to have 4 months of overlap until Sp2 every year to achieve a workable level of compatibility and function.  It annually leaves 8 months of actually using the new version and not dealing with windows based colleagues downgrading their files for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am running High Sierra and want to start a new project using VW 2018 but having issues with running out of memory.

My machine: iMac 3.5 i7, 16 GB memory and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB.

The file is just getting started so it is very very light but when I try to just design layer reference my civil plan (which is only 15 MB file) my CPU usage goes over 100% and Vectorworks stops responding. I'm just force quitting out. Given how light the file is now - I have little hope that upgrading to 32 GB memory is the solution.

I'm about to give up and just use VW 2017, but frustrated that there are still compatibility issues after both  High Sierra and 18 have issued updates. I've read the other posts about compatibility and my issues appear to be consistent.

I've been using VW for over two years now and I must say - I've used Revit and Archicad in the past and never had the types of problems and limitations that I have experienced with VW.

• Sad 1
  • 2 months later...

I just found out about this issue although I've talked to technical support about problems since I started using VW 2018. I join the other posts in voicing my discontent over this issue. It needs to be resolved ASAP and not in 2019 as I was told this morning. Does anyone use Sketchup for landscape design?

Is anyone else considering using Vectorworks 2017 until they resolve this problem? 

Thanks

VW 2018 still has many unresolved bugs and functionality and formatting issues.  Its disappointing that users have to deal with a half broken product for 500/year.

Just now, Terri said:

I just found out about this issue although I've talked to technical support about problems since I started using VW 2018. I join the other posts in voicing my discontent over this issue. It needs to be resolved ASAP and not in 2019 as I was told this morning. Does anyone use Sketchup for landscape design?

Is anyone else considering using Vectorworks 2017 until they resolve this problem? 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Terri said:

Thanks

I checked with support and they said it was working fine while they were remoted in, was this not the case? Were they able to get you squared away afterwards?