• 4
B Cox

2018 High Sierra Compatibility Issues

Question

I am a service select customer and recently upgraded to high sierra and vw2018.  I am pleased that 2018 is so much faster and snappier than 2017.  However, i have had several easily reproducible crash to desktop problems from within VW by doing things like renaming certain viewports, changing colors etc.  I called SS and they told me i shouldn't have upgraded to high sierra.  It seems like an insane thing to tell a customer as both softwares are upgraded annually.  Has anyone else had recurring issues like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

  • 0

SP1 for Vectorworks 2018 should resolve the majority of the issues with High Sierra. If you're concerned in the future, we try to post as soon as possible if there are going to be any issues with a new OS:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

What's the point of expensive annual software upgrade subscriptions if you don't cross-test thoroughly with WIP annual OS releases? Seems basic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

It was tested and was found to be incompatible with the release build of High Sierra. Since that OS build wasn't available when we released 2018, it couldn't be made compatible. A lot of changes can happen in Apple OSes right up until their release, so 2018's compatibility with their beta releases doesn't always indicate what the final state will be, which was the case this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Maybe next time you should email all your SS users not to upgrade to high sierra.  Most users I know and work with don't have forum accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
30 minutes ago, B Cox said:

Maybe next time you should email all your SS users not to upgrade to high sierra.  Most users I know and work with don't have forum accounts.


I'll make the recommendation! Soon we hope to roll all the alerts and signins together to prevent people missing things in the future, so your Service Select login and Forum account will be one and the same, so everyone can get all news all at once.

 

34 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

is there a rough ETA for SP1?


Can't give dates still, but very very soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, JimW said:

Soon we hope to roll all the alerts and signins together to prevent people missing things in the future, so your Service Select login and Forum account will be one and the same, so everyone can get all news all at once.

This is great to hear!

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Since MacOS upgrade coincide with VW upgrades, it seems that this issues has come up the last few Sept/Oct's. This year I won't make the upgrade to either 2018 or High Sierra until 2018 SP1 and 2017 SP5. This is just sensible. A good strategy is to install 2018 and play with it before migrating you work files. Loving the multiple views! Patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

But its kind of a crazy system. Two software with annual upgrade tracks on top of each other.  VW should delay their upgrades until 4 months after MacOS does their annual update.  It seems foolish for pro users to have 4 months of overlap until Sp2 every year to achieve a workable level of compatibility and function.  It annually leaves 8 months of actually using the new version and not dealing with windows based colleagues downgrading their files for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

SP1 came out today, so there isn't going to be much wait. As soon as 2017 SP5 comes out, I'll upgrade to High Sierra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Any word about sp5 for 2017?  I'm in a new office and am working with a lot of files that were developed in 2017 and 2015, so I could pull them forward to 2018 but I'd really hate to if workable 2017 was about to be released...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I've been running VW2017 on High sierra with out any incident so far. I figures moving everything to 2018 is an option if I hit a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now